Total Years Of Collage

jutntog1

I asked my brother who is currently in medical school to be a neurosurgeon. After graduate school, a Neurosurgeon undergoes 7 years of residency, at which time he earns very little pay, and is considered "on the job training."

So following the formula above:

Public School: 12 Years

Undergrad school: 4 years

Med school: 4 years

Residency: 7 Years

Total: 27 years schooling.

Uhh.. I was pretty sure it took at most 14 years. I wouldn't do it if it took 27 years, I'd be an old person. I want to be a neursurgeon so I'm pretty sure I have a grip. Of course after you get out of school, you have to keep up with stuff by reading research journals and examining other people's work. You have to be involved in learning but people aren't grading you as hard.

It's a very complex medical science where you must be very strongwilled and go all out to get your degree. You'll want to understand Psychology and makes good grades in school. If you don't have good grades in High School, that's ok.

Just keep up with sciences. Get your Associates in Art and Science, most medical schools seek someone who understand culture and the world around them.

So in College, you're most likely going to spend a while getting your undergraduate's degree. Two years. For me, two years and a half. There are small things that effect it like not being awesome at math.

I truly suggest to all people that they keep up with mathematics because when you go into the sciences it is a must. When going into neuroscience; chemistry, biology, psychology, linguistics, all things are important.

Depending on where you live, you may want to learn a second language, preferably one close to where you live. For me being American, it would be Spanish, but I plan on going to Japan so I'm holding off on it for now, but will most likely take Spanish.

It's not just about becoming, it's also about getting into medical school.

I didn't make the best grades in highschool, but when it comes to college I've got about a 3.5 G.P.A. It takes hard work, concentration, and a lot of help from fellow scientists. Mostly the people on my signature helped me.

A fellow doctor told me that a person should keep above 3.3 G.P.A.

I can do that no sweat.

I think it's an awesome science because if it goes far enough, we can make transhuman cybernetic organisms based off of brain-computer interface technology.

lol 7 years of residency wtf? are you sure its 7? most med specialties have about 2 years max for residency. If you don't mind me asking, what med school is he at?

Erm, as I said, he is in med school now to be a Neurosurgeon and he is attending UMDNJ. That sort of medical science is very delicate, with the average patient only having a 50% chance of success... It takes years of refinement as a resident to be able to perform the tasks appropiately.

lol 7 years of residency wtf? are you sure its 7? most med specialties have about 2 years max for residency. If you don't mind me asking, what med school is he at?
Yes, neurosurgery is a 7 year residency program. However, remember that you also must do a 1 year general surgery internship.

The minimum residency in the US for a specialty is 3 years, not 2.

Uhh.. I was pretty sure it took at most 14 years. I wouldn't do it if it took 27 years, I'd be an old person. I want to be a neursurgeon so I'm pretty sure I have a grip. Of course after you get out of school, you have to keep up with stuff by reading research journals and examining other people's work. You have to be involved in learning but people aren't grading you as hard.
If you're counting from college is 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship, 7 years of residency.

Get your Associates in Art and Science, most medical schools seek someone who understand culture and the world around them.
You have to have your bachelors degree. By far the most represented major in medical school is biology or chemistry. Culture is good, but you don't need a degree in art to be cultured.

So in College, you're most likely going to spend a while getting your undergraduate's degree. Two years. For me, two years and a half. There are small things that effect it like not being awesome at math
You need your four-year bachelors to matriculate at a US medical school.
A fellow doctor told me that a person should keep above 3.3 G.P.A.
I'd say 3.5 is a good place to be. It depends on your MCAT score though.

I once thought about neurosurgery. But it's a hard lifestyle. You can pretty much plan on not being married, except maybe to the hospital. Your malpractice premiums will be over 100,000 yearly, and you'll be sued several more times than the average physician. You can also plan on not having a life outside of medicine really, especially during your residency years (all 7 of them). You also must remember that during residency, you are earning about 40k a year, which is dirt cheap for the amount of sweat, blood, and tears you'll be pouring into your profession. You'll probably also be anywhere between 100,000 and 200,000 in debt from medical school. So you'll be living in an apartment driving a tiny economy car. Well, you'll be renting an apartment, you might not occupy it most of the time. If you do find a woman who will put up with you, you probably won't see your kids much. There's a joke in medicine that goes something like "How do you hide a dollar from a neurosurgeon? You give it to his kids." In addition to the lifestyle issues, you also have to pretty much rock your medical school boards.