Jack Chick proposes an alternative to the Strong Force

bascule

I love how the source he cites for this is drdino.com, discussed at length here, which claims, among other things:

"Scientists have theorized that the T-Rex could probably breathe fire"

"The most up to date scientific information shows that dinosaurs did not live millions of years ago, they lived with man. There are still some around today."

And what do they actually have to say about gluons?

Your search - site:drdino.com gluons - did not match any documents.

Nothing, I guess...

• 4 months later...
Bascule: Do you understand the strong force? Perhaps you would care to explain it to us? Just how does it hold the atomic nucleus together?

Severian, you obviously know more about physics than I do. So why are you asking me, a layman, for an explanation? I've certainly never studied quantum chromodynamics in an academic setting. If you have questions about the strong force, perhaps you should direct them at swansont rather than me.

I can only suspect a religiously-derived ulterior motive. Are you saying the strong force doesn't hold together the atomic nucleus? Surely you don't agree with Chick that the strong force is "a desperate theory to explain away truth" and that electromagnetic repulsion should cause an atomic nucleus to blow apart.

I am just curious to see if you think that anyone understands what holds the atomic nucleus together. Do you think that? Your original post seems to imply that you do. (Let me give you a hint. If you can answer my original question, and prove it, you will win the Nobel Prize - or rather I will, since I would steal the proof.)

I am just curious to see if you think that anyone[/b'] understands what holds the atomic nucleus together. Do you think that?

I've never had reason to suspect that our knowledge was incomplete in that respect, no.

Your original post seems to imply that you do. (Let me give you a hint. If you can answer my original question, and prove it, you will win the Nobel Prize - or rather I will, since I would steal the proof.)

So what are you saying, that the specific nature of the strong force interactions which hold together the atomic nucleus are presently unknown? This is the first I've heard of it and some more information on the matter would certainly be appreciated.

We think we understand the force at very small distances <1fm (or about the size of a proton) very well, but when the distances become larger than that our traditional methods of investigation (perturbation theory) break down. Although it seems reasonable that the quarks which make up the proton are held in there by QCD and its gluons, no-one has ever been able to prove it. The phenomenon is called "confinement" and whomever proves it will win the big one.

There are of course atomic models which describe nuclear bonding via the (residual) strong force, but they are just models, not real understanding.

Gribov claimed that he had proven confinement, but he refused to write down his proof or explain it to anyone. And then he 'conventiently' died...

[Edit: there are a few papers on the web which claim to understand Gribov's confinement, such as http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0008229, but they are all pretty much devoid of content.]

So, do you think scientists are trying to hide the truth? Who do you place your faith in for providing the eventual answer, science or religion? In this parady, is the boy providing answers or hiding truth?

Scientist don't have all the answers, theologians aren't even looking for the answers, since they have God. As a lay person, I place my faith in science with matters of the physical world. It has proven to be the best system to explain the physical world. The theologians have the rest to think about.

I love how all these Chick Tracts show the quiet and oppressed Christian, while the Big Evil Atheists are constantly abusing them in all ways.

And that tract still doesn't prove how a Sky Fairy will send you to eternal torment if you don't love Him.