Sourcing mixing fluid online

Pádraig

(Apologies if this is the wrong forum, couldn't find one I thought suited. It's technically homework, feel free to move if there's a better fit!)

Hi all,

I'm looking to do some mixing at home, and measuring with a viscometer. I'll be using tap water, and one other fluid, idealy with a viscosity that's a bit higher than it. Where's the best place I could purchase a fluid that's

1) Reasonably cheap,

2) Has a viscosity at least a small bit higher than water,

3) Has its density and viscosity values available?

18 minutes ago, Pádraig said:

(Apologies if this is the wrong forum, couldn't find one I thought suited. It's technically homework, feel free to move if there's a better fit!)

Hi all,

I'm looking to do some mixing at home, and measuring with a viscometer. I'll be using tap water, and one other fluid, idealy with a viscosity that's a bit higher than it. Where's the best place I could purchase a fluid that's

1) Reasonably cheap,

I presume it has to be miscible with water. If so, would glycerol fit the bill? 

16 hours ago, exchemist said:

I presume it has to be miscible with water. If so, would glycerol fit the bill? 

13 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Thanks very much to both - I'm going to purchase Glycerin on Amazon and look at formulating liquid sugar myself.

1 hour ago, Pádraig said:

Thanks very much to both - I'm going to purchase Glycerin on Amazon and look at formulating liquid sugar myself.

If you mix up sugar yourself, though, you will need to measure or calculate the density for yourself. If you are prepared to do that, you could simply buy Lyle's Golden Syrup in the supermarket and use that.  

On 4/4/2023 at 3:13 PM, exchemist said:

If you mix up sugar yourself, though, you will need to measure or calculate the density for yourself. If you are prepared to do that, you could simply buy Lyle's Golden Syrup in the supermarket and use that.  

How would something like cooking oils (sunflower, vegetable, olive) work for this. ?

On 4/4/2023 at 3:13 PM, exchemist said:

The tables I posted a link to are for sucrose.
Golden syrup is a mixture- it contains quite a lot of invert sugar.

Also, you could measure the density; why would you want to?

56 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

The tables I posted a link to are for sucrose.
Golden syrup is a mixture- it contains quite a lot of invert sugar.

Also, you could measure the density; why would you want to?

Dunno, but the OP seemed to want it.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:09 PM, Pádraig said:

Hi all,

1) Reasonably cheap,

The auto parts should have an additive more viscous than water with available data, which you could dilute, also available pre-mixed.

Edited by NTuft