Food expenditure per person (split from Restaurant food)

Sensei

14 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Unsure. You tell me:

Too late chum. Your comment was entirely inappropriate so welcome to my blocked list. You've nothing to say worth hearing. 

Edited by sethoflagos
Clarification

49 minutes ago, sethoflagos said:

Too late chum. Your comment was entirely inappropriate so welcome to my blocked list. You've nothing to say worth hearing. 

I gave you a picture of how much money people in the world spend on food per person when they cook at home. Does a "westerner" have six times bigger the stomach of anyone else in the world? Looking at these numbers from the point of view of restaurant expenditures, it would look even more terrible for overly rich and obese Westerners.. You seem to be a very simple person, simple minded, if my first comment was worthy of neg by you..

Get your nose out of the den and go out into the world. It reminds me of the Taco Bell/Pizza Hut scene from Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock, when hungry people tried to get a scrap of food at the same time outside (at the end of scene):

Edited by Sensei

6 hours ago, Sensei said:

I gave you a picture of how much money people in the world spend on food per person when they cook at home. Does a "westerner" have six times bigger the stomach of anyone else in the world?

The numbers are not normalized by cost of living.

Rice, for example, costs ~4x as much in the United States as it does in Vietnam. So an expenditure that is 4x higher does not mean they are eating 4x more.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=115

Have to consider comparative advantage as it applies within a country too.

If you can make more money doing something else, why pick crops in a field? This ends up driving up cost, which can only be partially mitigated by trade due to spoilage.

Western food on average travels farther to shelf, and is more packaged and processed, all of which adds layers of cost.  A shopper in rural Uganda goes to market and comes home with a bag of unpackaged root vegetables, leafy greens, fruits, dried legumes and pulses scooped from big bins, etc.  

There is some depravity in the rates of food wastage tolerated in developed countries - don't get me started on fruit bowls put out just for show, or tossing leftovers - but wastage is also a problem in developing countries that still lack sufficient refrigeration and other means to keep pests out of food.

I think a broader argument on whether or not western wealth leads to some forms of depravity (materialism worshipped, or ecologically insupportable McMansions, e.g.) could be another thread.  The recent homelessness thread touches on disparities in access to shelter that could probably be called depraved.

And may I say that Sandra Bullock, whose lovely smile blazes forth in that YouTube clip, does not strike me as a depraved and obese westerner.  She is a classy person and a humanitarian who is known for frequently handing one million dollar checks to various worthy charities and relief efforts.

35 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Western food on average travels farther to shelf, and is more packaged and processed, all of which adds layers of cost.  A shopper in rural Uganda goes to market and comes home with a bag of unpackaged root vegetables, leafy greens, fruits, dried legumes and pulses scooped from big bins, etc.  

In that light, it should be unsurprising that the US has an urbanization rate above 80%, while Vietnam’s is under 40% (using my previous countries)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_by_sovereign_state