Does anyone have any thoughts about this propulsion concept?

StarEagle1

I forgot to give this simple thing a description and name.This device is suppose to propel itself on every half rotation somehow, because every half turn, one object rotates inward toward the main core while the other object rotates outward away from the main core. It's also suppose to be like a vibrating motor that only vibrates in one direction. It's name is the Off-Balance 1 Drive, or OB1 Drive, if you will. I'm surprised I haven't seen other similar devices. This one is so simple, it really is amusing!

2 hours ago, StarEagle1 said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen other similar devices.

I don't think you looked hard enough.  There are tons of reactionless drive proposals on the internet, from the very simple to quite complicated.  There are also lots of perpetual motion proposals and FTL spaceship proposals.  None of these work of course but that doesn't keep people from 'cranking' them out.

If you enjoy making these things up, like a science fiction story, that's fine and understanding why they don't work can be a round about way to learn some real physics.

That's good to hear, it's a good site to learn from. One of the biggest downsides I come across with posts that try to invent a new propulsion system is that they overlook Newtons third law.

There was one part of that description I forgot to put in. All rotations are suppose to go clockwise, I think. Now I'm done. If I attempt to build it later, I'll try to learn how things might equalize out.

Edited by StarEagle1

If all the rotations are in the same direction and you apply Newtons third law. What do you think the spacecraft will do ? (Regardless of thrust )

Edited by Mordred

14 hours ago, StarEagle1 said:

It's also suppose to be like a vibrating motor that only vibrates in one direction

How does something vibrate in only one direction? That sounds like translation. Did you mean along one axis? 

Concerning the machine vibrating in one direction, I’m sure you must be right about the axis. Also, to me it sort of looks like it would surge forward every half rotation, but applying Newton’s third law, it should not go forward at all. I think with all the rotations on this concept it’s difficult to understand every opposite and equal reaction, at least for me. Because of that, I don’t think I’ll be completely satisfied until I try to build it one day and see that it just won’t work. I appreciate all the comments.

Off-Balance 1 Drive.png

Without further details about the StarEagle1 propulsion concept, it is challenging to provide specific thoughts or a rating. There have been numerous propulsion concepts explored and developed over the years, ranging from traditional chemical rockets to more advanced technologies like ion propulsion, nuclear propulsion, and even theoretical concepts like warp drives.

The evaluation of a propulsion concept typically depends on several factors such as efficiency, scalability, feasibility, safety, and environmental impact, among others. It would be beneficial to have more specific information about the StarEagle1 propulsion concept in order to offer a more informed opinion or assessment.

If you can provide additional details or describe the concept further, I would be happy to try and provide more specific thoughts or information on the topic.

16 minutes ago, AlexanderDavis said:

Without further details about the StarEagle1 propulsion concept, it is challenging to provide specific thoughts or a rating. There have been numerous propulsion concepts explored and developed over the years, ranging from traditional chemical rockets to more advanced technologies like ion propulsion, nuclear propulsion, and even theoretical concepts like warp drives.

The evaluation of a propulsion concept typically depends on several factors such as efficiency, scalability, feasibility, safety, and environmental impact, among others. It would be beneficial to have more specific information about the StarEagle1 propulsion concept in order to offer a more informed opinion or assessment.

If you can provide additional details or describe the concept further, I would be happy to try and provide more specific thoughts or information on the topic.

There are already 2 pages of discussion on this concept, which you can read for yourself if you intend to contribute anything of value.

I really don't have much more on the concept. The middle object in there is an electric motor. Everything else, you have to figure out for yourself, but that's the fun of it. It was sort of like a hobby for me, and a way to learn a little at a time.

Edited by StarEagle1
replicated words