Does eating eggs increase cholesterol? What are the latest scientific studies/data suggesting?

Nutrition4Health

3 hours ago, genio said:

Correlation does not imply causation.

It depends what kind of feed the chicken ate. Cheap eggs bioaccumulate pesticides and other POPs (persistent organic pollutants) from their conventional feed and these toxins have been shown to cause atherosclerosis.

I'm susceptible to developing atherosclerosis and I've noticed that hardboiled eggs with the green ring always clog up my arteries, while hardboiled Organic eggs that don't develop the green ring, have never clogged up my arteries regardless of how many I consumed.

Also, cell membranes contain mostly cholesterol. Cell membrane - Wikipedia

This does not sound right, in a number of respects.

The green ring in hard boiled eggs is due to sulphur in the white reacting with iron in the yolk, if the eggs are cooked longer than necessary. There is no reason to think organic vs standard eggs behave any differently in this respect. If you don't want a green ring, boil them for less time and then cool and shell them immediately. (I never get a green ring with hard boiled eggs  - and I never buy organic eggs.)

Furthermore I can think of no way you could possibly know that one type of eggs allegedly clogs up your arteries while another does not. What makes you think this? 

As for the "toxins" causing atherosclerosis, this is an interesting claim. I had not heard of this before. Can you provide evidence (e.g. a web link) describing  what these "toxins" are, that they do indeed bioaccumulate in standard eggs and that they do cause atherosclerosis. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Actually, forget it. I've now read some of your other posts. I don't think anybody is going to learn anything worthwhile from a discussion of your ideas.  

Edited by exchemist

8 hours ago, genio said:

I'm susceptible to developing atherosclerosis and I've noticed that hardboiled eggs with the green ring always clog up my arteries, while hardboiled Organic eggs that don't develop the green ring, have never clogged up my arteries regardless of how many I consumed.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/eggs/shell-eggs-farm-table

A green ring on a hard-cooked yolk can be a result of overcooking, and is caused by sulfur and iron compounds in the egg reacting on the yolk's surface. The green color can also be caused by a high amount of iron in the cooking water. Scrambled eggs cooked at too high a temperature or held on a steam table too long can also develop a greenish cast. The green color is safe to consume.

You may have some trouble incorporating this information into your present accumulated knowledge, since it contradicts something you've come to believe unreasonably. It's worth trying to overcome our own cognitive biases though, even though our inclination is to believe even more strongly in the false assumption.

6 hours ago, exchemist said:

This does not sound right, in a number of respects.

The green ring in hard boiled eggs is due to sulphur in the white reacting with iron in the yolk, if the eggs are cooked longer than necessary. There is no reason to think organic vs standard eggs behave any differently in this respect. If you don't want a green ring, boil them for less time and then cool and shell them immediately. (I never get a green ring with hard boiled eggs  - and I never buy organic eggs.)

Furthermore I can think of no way you could possibly know that one type of eggs allegedly clogs up your arteries while another does not. What makes you think this? 

As for the "toxins" causing atherosclerosis, this is an interesting claim. I had not heard of this before. Can you provide evidence (e.g. a web link) describing  what these "toxins" are, that they do indeed bioaccumulate in standard eggs and that they do cause atherosclerosis. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Actually, forget it. I've now read some of your other posts. I don't think anybody is going to learn anything worthwhile from a discussion of your ideas.  

Dismissing me because you believe humans are robots. Real mature.

I'm a runner and have clean arteries. They weren't always clean and I would collapse to the ground huffing and puffing whenever I tried to run. I can feel when my arteries are clogging up after I've cleaned them via healthy eating.

There's a correlation between egg intake and atherosclerosis. We know that cholesterol and natural fatty acids don't cause atherosclerosis. There's definitely something harmful in some eggs that causes atherosclerosis.

My correlation is the green ring of hardboiled eggs causing atherosclerosis. I've overcooked a specific brand of organic eggs and they never develop the green ring. There's a lot of assumptions on the internet in regards to what causes the green ring because it's theoretical.

Pesticide exposure and risk of cardiovascular disease: A systematic review - PubMed (nih.gov)

Exposure to Agrochemicals and Cardiovascular Disease: A Review - PMC (nih.gov)

Pesticides (Hexachlorocyclohexane, Aldrin, and Malathion) Residues in Home-Grown Eggs: Prevalence, Distribution, and Effect of Storage and Heat Treatments - PubMed (nih.gov)

Edited by genio

10 hours ago, genio said:

Atherosclerotic plaque is not an event that you observe in some short-term cause/effect way.  That is sort of like saying you notice your bones are thinner after you skip milk for breakfast.  (this is a "drive by" post so please excuse any duplication if others have already pointed this out)  

3 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Atherosclerotic plaque is not an event that you observe in some short-term cause/effect way.  That is sort of like saying you notice your bones are thinner after you skip milk for breakfast.  (this is a "drive by" post so please excuse any duplication if others have already pointed this out)  

You're right. I feel it after a week or two of consuming those specific eggs every day.

Edited by genio

Arterial plaque formation is a slow process of decades, and one reason it can be ultimately deadly is precisely because you don't "feel it" over any short-term period.   If you ate something and felt sluggish or "huffing and puffing," that has more to do with short-term factors which may or may not be from your food.  Sleep habits, blood sugar, moods, social interactions, hydration, hormone levels, sugar or simple carb intakes, overall recent meal size, and many others factors can influence performance on a given day.  

Do not be deceived by the power of suggestion.  If some popular source on the Web tells you a certain food will make you tired, the human mind can easily talk itself into experiencing it that way.   Stick with peer-reviewed science and remember that infamous logical fallacy which can fool even the smartest people:  post hoc, ergo propter hoc.   Or, put another way, correlation is not causation.  

22 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Arterial plaque formation is a slow process of decades, and one reason it can be ultimately deadly is precisely because you don't "feel it" over any short-term period.   If you ate something and felt sluggish or "huffing and puffing," that has more to do with short-term factors which may or may not be from your food.  Sleep habits, blood sugar, moods, social interactions, hydration, hormone levels, sugar or simple carb intakes, overall recent meal size, and many others factors can influence performance on a given day.  

Do not be deceived by the power of suggestion.  If some popular source on the Web tells you a certain food will make you tired, the human mind can easily talk itself into experiencing it that way.   Stick with peer-reviewed science and remember that infamous logical fallacy which can fool even the smartest people:  post hoc, ergo propter hoc.   Or, put another way, correlation is not causation.  

I do because I have genetic mutations from acute mercury poisoning. I'm the exception. Not the rule.

I'm aware of the placebo effect.

1 hour ago, genio said:

Dismissing me because you believe humans are robots. Real mature.

I'm a runner and have clean arteries. They weren't always clean and I would collapse to the ground huffing and puffing whenever I tried to run. I can feel when my arteries are clogging up after I've cleaned them via healthy eating.

There's a correlation between egg intake and atherosclerosis. We know that cholesterol and natural fatty acids don't cause atherosclerosis. There's definitely something harmful in some eggs that causes atherosclerosis.

My correlation is the green ring of hardboiled eggs causing atherosclerosis. I've overcooked a specific brand of organic eggs and they never develop the green ring. There's a lot of assumptions on the internet in regards to what causes the green ring because it's theoretical.

Pesticide exposure and risk of cardiovascular disease: A systematic review - PubMed (nih.gov)

Exposure to Agrochemicals and Cardiovascular Disease: A Review - PMC (nih.gov)

Pesticides (Hexachlorocyclohexane, Aldrin, and Malathion) Residues in Home-Grown Eggs: Prevalence, Distribution, and Effect of Storage and Heat Treatments - PubMed (nih.gov)

It was that crap about humming and "energy" while you cook, plus your implausible claim to detect short-term effects on atherosclerosis in your own body, that made my crank detector go off.😁

But thanks for the links on pesticides. Apparently, if you eat home-grown eggs shipped in from Jordan and you don't hard boil them, then you may be at risk of ingesting certain pesticides above safe limits.  Nothing in these links suggests that commercially produced eggs in other countries contain unsafe levels of pesticides.  The study itself concludes:

"PRACTICAL APPLICATION: Home-grown eggs could be exposed to pesticides more than commercial eggs as free-range hens interact directly with the environment and ingest soil or materials on/in the soil that might be contaminated with pesticides used in home gardens or farms. Exploring pesticides residues in home-grown eggs and effect of refrigerated storage and heat treatment (boiling and frying) on residue levels would be useful to consumers and health authorities." 

Edited by exchemist

3 minutes ago, exchemist said:

It was that crap about humming and "energy" while you cook, plus your implausible claim to detect short-term effects on atherosclerosis in your own body, that made my crank detector go off.😁

But thanks for the links on pesticides. Apparently, if you eat home-grown eggs shipped in from Jordan and you don't hard boil them, then you may be at risk of ingesting certain pesticides above safe limits.  Nothing in these links suggests that commercially produced eggs in other countries contain unsafe levels of pesticides.  The study itself concludes:

"PRACTICAL APPLICATION: Home-grown eggs could be exposed to pesticides more than commercial eggs as free-range hens interact directly with the environment and ingest soil or materials on/in the soil that might be contaminated with pesticides used in home gardens or farms. Exploring pesticides residues in home-grown eggs and effect of refrigerated storage and heat treatment (boiling and frying) on residue levels would be useful to consumers and health authorities." 

Chickens need to consume grains to produce eggs. Conventional grain feed contains pesticides. Backyard chickens consume the same conventional grains.

"unsafe levels of pesticides" is a dismissing remark when the accumulative effect will have a detrimental effect.

How do you know if some sort of humming energy isn't transferred to food if you haven't tested it? I know it sounds completely crazy but it happens.

53 minutes ago, genio said:

How do you know if some sort of humming energy isn't transferred to food if you haven't tested it?

It's not a matter of "know", we assume it isn't until we test it. Do you have a link to any studies done on this? You can't make the claim without some kind of evidence to support it. 

2 hours ago, genio said:

I do because I have genetic mutations from acute mercury poisoning. I'm the exception. Not the rule.

I'm aware of the placebo effect.

Mutagenesis is not the primary outcome of acuter mercury poisoning. In fact, genotoxicity is still somewhat being discussed. Primary issues include neurotoxic effects and kidney damage.

As others also have mentioned, atherosclerosis is formed slowly via a range of different mechanisms. Mostly it is a chronic inflammatory process, which is associated with lipid accumulation and invasion of macrophages (and somewhat more disputed, smooth muscle cells). It is nothing that happens even after weeklong ingestion of eggs or other foodstuff.

Generally speaking, long-term exposure to harmful compounds or diet can increase risk of atherosclerosis, though the exact mechanisms are not clear. The most obvious pathway are inflammation pathways (which are also triggered e.g. by stress, certain components often found in processed food (sugars, saturated fats etc.) and so on. Eggs, interestingly enough are generally considered to be anti-inflammatory (we had a discussion elsewhere where we discussed the effect of LDL:HDL ratios which are not precisely part of the inflammatory cascade per se, but influence influence lipid deposition at the intima, which might then be associated with inflammatory responses).

2 hours ago, genio said:

Chickens need to consume grains to produce eggs. Conventional grain feed contains pesticides. Backyard chickens consume the same conventional grains.

"unsafe levels of pesticides" is a dismissing remark when the accumulative effect will have a detrimental effect.

How do you know if some sort of humming energy isn't transferred to food if you haven't tested it? I know it sounds completely crazy but it happens.

Because I have some understanding of basic physics.

- The energy in the sound waves from a human voice is tiny: at 60dB it is about 10⁻⁶ W/m². So for a cooking pot of 10cm radius and thus a surface area of 0.3m², it will intercept one third of a millionth of a watt of energy from the sound. 

- This energy will be converted to heat when it is absorbed, so all it will do is serve to heat up the contents - infinitesimally.