BDDE for milling the ore of limestone?

Vrbo

Hi, 

Does anybody know how would BDDE (1,4-Butanediol diglycidyl ether) decomposed at high temperatures? (boiling point is 266°C).

I will mix small amount of BDDE with powder of CaCO3 and hit it up to 255°C. Should I expect that all of BDDE will decomposed?

Tnx

Edited by Phi for All
Title amended for clarity

This has nothing to do with drugs. We are milling the ore of limestone. During milling the limestone we add some reagents to get better results of milling. For example for 1 tones of milled  limestone we use apr. 1L of reagents. But now I would like to change the current reagent with BDDE because of his high boiling point. Milled limestone is later used in different process to make plastic and other products also....but to making others product they have to heat the limestone at high temperature but adding regents can cause some problem because of decomposed reagents....and this is why I am asking if BDDE would also decompose or will be still stable at 255°C?

sorry for misunderstanding but I am not making drugs :) tnx

I would say stable for short time to the heat (1min).....

Hydrocarbon in non polar. I need as high as possible polar reagent, because polarity makes a great affect on milling ( breaks up lumps).

So BDDE wouldnˇt  be a great choce 😕

I will still looking for solution.

• Phi for All changed the title to BDDE for milling the ore of limestone?

Sika Technology AG Comprehensive understanding of grinding aids

[Pg.4] [...]On the other hand, commercial grinding aids consist of nonpolar hydrocarbon skeletons as well as polar functional groups. The latter interact readily with clinker. The majority of active compounds are alcohols, i.e. they have polar organic hydroxide groups (R-OH). Triethanolamine (TEA) is a trialcohol and diethylene glycol (DEG) is a di-alcohol. Very good grinding performance is also achieved using some mono-alcohols, such as isopropanol. However, these are not used in commercial cement production because of their low boiling points (< 100 °C)[...]

[Pg.6-7][...]4.2 Agglomeration energy of C3 S and C3 A
Agglomeration energy can be understood as follows: the release of stored energy when two parallel relaxed cleaved surfaces come together or equally the required energy to separate them. Dry and hydroxylated tricalcium silicate surfaces (“C3 S”, “HC”) without and with various grinding aids were simulated in analogy with Figures 9-13. Figures 16 and 17 show a monomolecular layer of glycerine in the confined and separated states between cleaved C3 S surfaces. The difference between the two calculated energy levels is the agglomeration energy.The distribution of the glycerine molecules in the separated state does not play a crucial role [2].
An example with equal distribution is shown in Figure 18. The agglomeration energy (Fig. 19, data in mJ/m2 of surface) correlates at 90°C inversely with the grinding performance of clinker in the laboratory trials [2].
Agglomeration energy: C3 S > HC > HC-glycerine > HC-TEA > HC-TIPA > HC-MDIPA
Grinding performance: Clinker < HC < HC-glycerine < HC-TEA < HC-TIPA < HC-MDIPA
Not all clinker phases behave the same. In case of tricalcium aluminate (C3 A), the agglomeration energies and their ranking are partially quite different as is shown in Figure 20 (data in mJ/m2 of surface) [11].
Agglomeration energy: C3 A > HC > HC-TIPA > HC-glycerine > HC-TEA > HC-MDIPA

C3 A surfaces covered with TIPA have higher agglomeration energy than C3 S surfaces covered with TIPA, while the opposite behaviour is obtained with all other organic molecules. And, even more important, the agglomeration energies of dry and hydroxylated C3 A are almost double those of the corresponding values for C3 S. The beneficial effect of grinding aids is therefore substantially more marked with C3 A than with C3 S. This means that grinding aids can equalize to some extent the different grindabilities of the clinker phases and thus also of clinkers with different compositions.

It doesn't sound like you're sintering to clinker, which is the focus of the above paper. From there,
Reference [16] Sohoni, S., Sridhar, R., Mandal, G.: The effect of grinding aids on the fine grinding of limestone, quartz and Portland cement clinker, Powder Technology 67 (1991), pp. 277–286 Science Direct.com

Abstract
The effectiveness of seven grinding aids, namely triethanolamine, mono- and diethylene glycols, oleic acid, sodium oleate, sulphite waste liquor and dodecylbenzene sulphonic acid on the batch grinding of Portland cement clinker, limestone and quartz was investigated in a laboratory ball mill.
The initial stages of grinding of the materials studied, without the use of grinding aids, were found to depend on their Moh's hardness. Excessive shell and ball coatings led to virtual stoppage of fine grinding of cement clinker and limestone. Quartz, which did not exhibit this property, continued to grind finer.
All the grinding aids studied have been found to be effective in variable degrees. While the grinding aids had only a marginal effect on the grinding of quartz, they had a significantly beneficial effect on the grinding of limestone and cement clinker. Triethanolamine appeared to be the most effective of all the aids studied. In the grinding of cement clinker, gypsum also acted as a very effective grinding aid. The action of these additives has been attributed to their ability to prevent agglomeration and ball and mill coatings of the powder.

Pubchem Triethanolamine BP 335-350°C

Edited by NTuft
TEA BP