Theorotically, how could one build a time machine? is "Photon Fuel" the answer?

JacobNewton

Is antimatter the answer? I vaguely grope at terms like antimatter, the big bang theory the matrix and parallel dimensions, as I try to find a way to build a time machine.

Certainly factors like the light barrier, the theory of relativity, and quantum physics would play a role in the building of this hypothetical time machine

But like Einstein came up with a formula for the traversing of the Time barrier,

is it possible to come up with a technique, of hypothetical model for a time machine?

Surely we can envision how to build certain parts of that time machine. And yet a lot of it's makeup would still be murky

For example, "What you need to build the engine that would see the time machine breaking the light barrier:" 

1. A racetrack in outer space conducive to acceleration beyond the normal range

2.A time machine capable of withstanding immense speeds (so diamond plated armour?) 

3.A substance that can travel at the speed of light (so far only photons travel at the speed of light so for instance, is it possible to create 'Photon Fuel' like causing momentum by virtue of photons? 

Can photons be harnessed and used to power a time machine's speed? 

Isn't that the only way to create a time machine? 

Or can we affix cameras at the end of photon beams, so we can witness what life is like at the edge of the light barrier? Maybe there's angels of light living on that edge. Who knows?

Once you disregard the laws of physics, you can suggest any possible answer. 

My Time Machine will be powered by raccoons from outer space, but just the ones that eat tiramisu for breakfast every day and pistachios for dinner. 

8 hours ago, JacobNewton said:

Is antimatter the answer? I vaguely grope at terms like antimatter, the big bang theory the matrix and parallel dimensions, as I try to find a way to build a time machine.

Certainly factors like the light barrier, the theory of relativity, and quantum physics would play a role in the building of this hypothetical time machine

But like Einstein came up with a formula for the traversing of the Time barrier,

is it possible to come up with a technique, of hypothetical model for a time machine?

Surely we can envision how to build certain parts of that time machine. And yet a lot of it's makeup would still be murky

For example, "What you need to build the engine that would see the time machine breaking the light barrier:" 

2.A time machine capable of withstanding immense speeds (so diamond plated armour?) 

3.A substance that can travel at the speed of light (so far only photons travel at the speed of light so for instance, is it possible to create 'Photon Fuel' like causing momentum by virtue of photons? 

Or can we affix cameras at the end of photon beams, so we can witness what life is like at the edge of the light barrier? Maybe there's angels of light living on that edge. Who knows?

Since you seem to introduce time machines into most, if not all, of your threads.

Do you wish a rational discussion about time machines  ?

If so please answer the following questions

1.   What do you mean by a time machine?
    Something that moves a person from time A to time B ?
    But what do you mean by 'a person'  and how does this play out with continuity ?

2. There are three space dimensions so there is always room (empty space) somewhere to move around other objects in that space without trying to pass through them.
    But there is only one time dimension so there is no empty time to use to accomplish the same with time.
    Since everything is on the same track, it would be like trying to pass through the Edinburgh to London express coming the other way.
    How is this trick to be accomplished?

9 hours ago, JacobNewton said:

Just re-read those last three sentences of yours. Slowly.

And then confirm, just so we all know,  whether you intended them seriously, or facetiously.

Edited by exchemist

2 hours ago, exchemist said:

Just re-read those last three sentences of yours. Slowly.

And then confirm, just so we all know,  whether you intended them seriously, or facetiously.

the point i was trying to make was, if we can overcome those obstacles in the pursuit of the Time Machine, we would be closer to building one. And in my opinion, those seem to be the obstacles we need to overcome. It's got to be something to do with photons, the only thing that can travel at the speed of light, and we absolutely must travel at the speed of light to surpass it, etc. 

3 hours ago, studiot said:

Since you seem to introduce time machines into most, if not all, of your threads.

Do you wish a rational discussion about time machines  ?

If so please answer the following questions

1.   What do you mean by a time machine?
    Something that moves a person from time A to time B ?
    But what do you mean by 'a person'  and how does this play out with continuity ?

2. There are three space dimensions so there is always room (empty space) somewhere to move around other objects in that space without trying to pass through them.
    But there is only one time dimension so there is no empty time to use to accomplish the same with time.
    Since everything is on the same track, it would be like trying to pass through the Edinburgh to London express coming the other way.
    How is this trick to be accomplished?

1. I dunno what continuity is, but by 'person' i guess i mean 'particle, or object. Anything, as long as it can surpass the time space barrier and go back in time; a first step towards acheiving time travel. If as I vaguely recollect, CERN already did that, then how can we expand the CERN time space tube thing to fit a entire human being into it? With a wide enough time space accelerator, we could send entire continents back in time, one step at a time. 

2.I didn't quite follow question 2; but I gather that one needs '3D time' to pass through it? Well, what is 3D time, and how does one achieve it?

But I was aware that if you passed the light barrier you would go back in time, does 3D time factor into that, and how if so?

Edited by JacobNewton

1 hour ago, JacobNewton said:

the point i was trying to make was, if we can overcome those obstacles in the pursuit of the Time Machine, we would be closer to building one. And in my opinion, those seem to be the obstacles we need to overcome. It's got to be something to do with photons, the only thing that can travel at the speed of light, and we absolutely must travel at the speed of light to surpass it, etc. 

Why not say that, then, instead of writing nonsense?

13 hours ago, JacobNewton said:

Is antimatter the answer?

I'm assuming you're made of matter, so no. I reckon you would have to make an antimatter copy of yourself and send it to an antimatter version of the past environment you would like to be in.

Here's the answer, in the form of a well-known poem by physicist Harold P. Furth,

Well up above the tropostrata
There is a region stark and stellar
Where, on a streak of anti-matter
Lived Dr. Edward Anti-Teller.

Remote from Fusion's origin,
He lived unguessed and unawares
With all his antikith and kin,
And kept macassars on his chairs.

One morning, idling by the sea,
He spied a tin of monstrous girth
That bore three letters: A. E. C.
Out stepped a visitor from Earth.

Then, shouting gladly o'er the sands,
Met two who in their alien ways
Were like as lentils. Their right hands
Clasped, and the rest was gamma rays.

A.E.C. stands for "Atomic Energy Comission, and the poem refers to the certainty that any close interaction between matter and anti-matter would end up in a burst of gamma rays. You touch any sizeable amount of antimatter, and you're done.

1 hour ago, JacobNewton said:

1. I dunno what continuity is, but by 'person' i guess i mean 'particle, or object. Anything, as long as it can surpass the time space barrier and go back in time; a first step towards acheiving time travel. If as I vaguely recollect, CERN already did that, then how can we expand the CERN time space tube thing to fit a entire human being into it? With a wide enough time space accelerator, we could send entire continents back in time, one step at a time. 

2.I didn't quite follow question 2; but I gather that one needs '3D time' to pass through it? Well, what is 3D time, and how does one achieve it?

But I was aware that if you passed the light barrier you would go back in time, does 3D time factor into that, and how if so?

Thank you for attempting to reply to my questions.

I will even give you +1 for actually admitting something you don't know.
That is the key to satisfactory discussion.

To explain continuity, using my railway example,  what I mean is that real world objects such as a train have a length (etc).

I like the train because it can be regarded as one dimensional for our purposes.

Continuity means that the train extends from the all the way front to the back without a break or gap.

Similarly a person extends in time all the way from birth to death. Call that his timeline.

If I removed a car from the train and placed it somewhere else there would be a gap in the train would there not ?

Similarly if I moved a person as a child to some other time (which equals the common scifi definition of time travel) there would be a corresponding gap in the continuity of that persons timeline.

Now having accepted that moving someone in time means moving their whole timeline, just as moving a train means in space means moving the whole length of the train along the track, not just part of it in each case, we can go on to look at question 2.

As far as the train is concerned the track is one dimensional.

So if the train moves 5 miles along the track we know this is OK so long as the track is clear.

But what happens if the train moves the whole 500 miles from Edinburgh to London ?

If it encounters another train on the same track there will be a smash.

With tracks we avoid this by having other tracks for other trains.
That is we can have more than a single one dimensional space.

With time we do not have that luxury. There is only one time dimension (that we know of).

So what would we expect to happen if we had a machine that could move the whole person 50 years along into the future or past ?

A temporal smash ?