Finasteride and impotence

kenny1999

Impotence is a known risk of taking 1mg Finasteride for curing male pattern hair loss but it's said chance is low. I asked doctor, he said it's possible, no comment on high or low risk. However, according to the health information provided officially here in my country they use the term "common" side effects for Finasteride. My understanding about "common" is that chance isn't low, at least. According to the instruction, it's about 2% if I do not remember incorrectly. In fact, how risky is 1mg Finasteride daily?

"Common" usually means more than 1 in 100. "Risky" is purely subjective, and something only you and your doctor can assess.

That said, I wouldn't risk a 1 in 100 chance when the side effect is so opposed to my objective. If I want to keep my hair because I think it makes me attractive, why risk impotence? 

Finasteride isn't a "cure" for androgenetic alopecia. At best it can help you keep hair you currently have. The attitudes towards male baldness are changing for the better (much faster, easier acceptance than women are getting, certainly). You might want to consider getting rid of the "ruff" and embracing total baldness. I'm blessed with an almost full head of hair at my age, but I'd pluck it all out by the roots rather than risk a 1% chance of impotence.

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

"Common" usually means more than 1 in 100. "Risky" is purely subjective, and something only you and your doctor can assess.

That said, I wouldn't risk a 1 in 100 chance when the side effect is so opposed to my objective. If I want to keep my hair because I think it makes me attractive, why risk impotence? 

Finasteride isn't a "cure" for androgenetic alopecia. At best it can help you keep hair you currently have. The attitudes towards male baldness are changing for the better (much faster, easier acceptance than women are getting, certainly). You might want to consider getting rid of the "ruff" and embracing total baldness. I'm blessed with an almost full head of hair at my age, but I'd pluck it all out by the roots rather than risk a 1% chance of impotence.

You have full head of hair at your age, then you are not someone who can feel me because you don't have this genetics. I am in my 30 and I have hard time making my life decision whether I should start taking it forever or never take it. I know Finasteride isn't a cure. But how about impotence? If I take it for a few years and experience impotence, can it be cured?

17 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

You have full head of hair at your age, then you are not someone who can feel me because you don't have this genetics. I am in my 30 and I have hard time making my life decision whether I should start taking it forever or never take it. I know Finasteride isn't a cure. But how about impotence? If I take it for a few years and experience impotence, can it be cured?

So the data on that is a bit unclear, but the there has been at least one larger study that suggests that although rare some men had persistent erectile dysfunction and the risk increased with length of treatment. A few more things, though. Finasteride has been associated with increased suicide ideation, so especially if one is prone to depression or similar episodes one should not take it.

There is also mixed evidence regarding prostate cancer, with some showing lower rates of low-grade cancer compared to placebo groups, but an increase in high-grade cancer. AFAIK it is not clear why that is the case.