Reverse Sonoluminescence

I recently accidently discovered a phenomena I can best describe as "Reverse Sonoluminescence". Instead of creating light using sound I've found a way to create sound using light. Not sure if this has already been discovered or researched or what not. Trying to get some more Info on the topic. Anything helps... if anyone is curious to know how I went about this I will gladly share how you could easily reproduce the phenomena yourself at home. However if nobody replies to this I will try my luck with another science forum.

1 hour ago, Beasleybawss said:

I've found a way to create sound using light. Not sure if this has already been discovered or researched or what not.

Alexander Graham Bell transmitted sound using light in the late 1800's.

In regards to Alexander Graham Bells method of transmitting sound using light. My method is more direct and in no way shape or form a modulation of the light from an already existing source of sound. I simply shine said light upon a specific object and it makes an easily audible tone or pitch. Furthermore, changing the brightness of the light changes the tone or pitch of the sound accordingly. For example the dimmer the light cast upon the object the lower the pitch and the brighter the light the higher the pitch. 

8 hours ago, Beasleybawss said:

In regards to Alexander Graham Bells method of transmitting sound using light. My method is more direct and in no way shape or form a modulation of the light from an already existing source of sound. I simply shine said light upon a specific object and it makes an easily audible tone or pitch. Furthermore, changing the brightness of the light changes the tone or pitch of the sound accordingly. For example the dimmer the light cast upon the object the lower the pitch and the brighter the light the higher the pitch. 

If you tell us what you have done, or found out, some of us might be intrigued. But if you are going be all coy about it we will lose interest rapidly. 

9 hours ago, Beasleybawss said:

Without more details it is difficult to say more.

The general phenomenon is called triboluminescence and reverse triboluminesce, the latter seems to be what you are describing.

Here is a modern paper on generating sound via laser.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp034904t

Look here for the photoacoustic effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoacoustic_effect

Edited by studiot

56 minutes ago, Beasleybawss said:

I just shined this flashlight on this piece of sphereical glass with soot on it and it started whining 

Ah. Soot is a very black and therefore good absorber of radiation, converting it to heat. What may be happening is the soot layer may be warming and expanding and moving on the glass surface via a stick-slip process.