Memory

If there was a test to measure memory capacity, my score would be lowest. For example, a simple paragraph may need to be re-read. It is depressing. Assuming no (known) physical impairments, what are possible reasons and remedies?

I don't think it's a question of capacity. You have plenty, whether it's on a scale or not. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1025405628479

The problem is far less likely to be in the storage as in the input and/or output functions.

One possibility is that you are unable to focus or concentrate on the material you want to remember, so it's never recorded. 

Another is that you actually stored it in long-term memory, but are unable to retrieve it at will - lost your password, to extend the metaphor. 

Of course, this analogy is nothing more than a metaphor; the human brain doesn't really work like a computer, and there is a lot more going on, physically, cognitively and emotionally, than the subject is aware of.

There are also - as you might expect - many different approaches to solving the problem. There are many regimens to improve memory (and some cons, so watch out!)

Here is some legitimate advice in general terms https://www.verywellmind.com/great-ways-to-improve-your-memory-2795356 , though it may not relate to your specific problem. To get at that, you need help to figure out what the specific obstacles are and how to remove them.

In the given example (reading and recalling a paragraph) it is often less about memory but more about comprehension. Though parts (such as short-term memory) can play a role, what generally happens when your read a paragraph is that you create a mental summary of sorts that you may or may not recall later on. If you you need to re-read a paragraph just to get the whole elements internalized, it seems that you are losing focus. I.e. you may read the words, but not creating meaning out of them. There are several techniques to increase focus, starting off with cutting away immediate distraction (phones/messengers), try only to do one thing (i.e. reading) and some seen benefits from applying mindfulness techniques.

Go slow at first summarize each sentence in your mind to see whether you got it, before moving on.

Try actively creating or picturing in your mind what the words suggest. Words in themselves are just abstract symbols that are meant to trigger the same thoughts or pictures that the author intended. Act out or create in your mind what the contents and narrative suggests to you. With practice the words will disappear, to be replaced by images, emotions, actions etc, depending on what you are reading about. These times you will remember much more because you are applying more of yourself. Read aloud to yourself if necessary as that engages more of yourself to the task and creates more pathways for remembering in meaningful ways. This becomes a memorable experience, instead of a mindless drudge of rote learning by repetition of the abstract symbols laid before you. 

Edited by StringJunky

How do I reply individually?

Peterkin, "unable to focus or concentrate." I think that is the crux of the problem, its resolution another. I've book-marked your link. Thanks for the reply.

CharonY, that's a good elaboration of Peterkin's post. I would suggest comprehension is the least of my problems, however, effectively or efficiently internalising content, as you imply, is what I need to address.

StringJunky, thinking about thinking. I like that. I certainly need to slow down (everything is a race). Really interesting suggestions. Recalling massive tracts may be superficially impressive but unless accompanied by a degree of profundity, it's a mere party trick.

Thank you all.

1 hour ago, horseguards said:

How do I reply individually?

There is a quote function at the lower left-hand side of the box. Or you can highlight the sentence or paragraph you want to answer and get a quote selection message. That's what I chose above here.

1 hour ago, horseguards said:

I think that is the crux of the problem

It is the most frequent problem with students and trainees. You're expected to internalize information in printed form, when visual may not be your best personal method of learning, and the content or form of the information may be foreign to your normal mode of thought. When that happens, you might consider thinking in terms of translation. Look at the paragraph as a pattern, rather than a block. See if you can pick out the most important words. Translate those words into your own language, and then put them back, each in its own sentence, to see if it makes better sense. It sounds time-consuming (especially for someone who has lots of material to get through in a short time) and at first, it is. But once you get the hang of it, it becomes faster.

Another thing that often happens is, even if you turned off the radio and closed the window, there is still noise generated by your own brain. All the time you're reading, part of your mind is nagging you to get on to another subject, take out the garbage, call your parents, fill out those forms... or just look ahead to the next paragraph. It's very hard to turn off the noise in your head. People with different temperaments need different strategies for dealing with that internal distraction. You may want to address each of the characters nagging at you and tell them when you intend to take care of their concern. Or more simply, allocate time: this half hour is for Economics; the next half hour is for recreation, the half hour after is for family obligations - or however your life works.   

Keep in mind, it really is important to eat healthy, get some exercise and fresh air whenever you can and sleep enough. People get stupid when they're malnourished, musty and tired.

Edited by Peterkin

On 7/1/2022 at 11:20 PM, horseguards said:

If there was a test to measure memory capacity, my score would be lowest.

Look at this video:

...and download apps that can be played on your smartphone:

iOS: https://www.google.com/search?q=chimp+memory+test+for+ios

Android: https://www.google.com/search?q=chimp+memory+test+for+android

What is your score?

Let other people play.

You will see that your score is not as bad as you think.

The more you play, the better score you'll get (and in the meantime, you'll train your memory).

On 7/1/2022 at 11:20 PM, horseguards said:

Assuming no (known) physical impairments, what are possible reasons and remedies?

Inappropriate diet lacking essential elements for the brain.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diet+good+for+brain

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/foods-linked-to-better-brainpower

Edited by Sensei

• 10 months later...

I understand how frustrating it can be to struggle with memory when studying.  Use active learning techniques like summarizing and teaching others. Stay organized with a structured study schedule. Prioritize restful sleep and manage stress. Actively engage with the material and seek practical applications. Maintain a balanced diet and hydration. For more tips, check out this article on how to improve your memory for studying: https://productive.fish/blog/how-to-improve-memory/

It's important to remember that memory abilities can vary from person to person, and there are several factors that can influence memory performance. Instead of focusing on comparing yourself to a hypothetical test, it's more helpful to focus on strategies to enhance your memory. By implementing techniques like active learning, organization, adequate sleep, stress management, and engaging with the material, you can gradually improve your memory skills. Remember, everyone has their own unique strengths, and with practice and perseverance, you can enhance your memory abilities and achieve your goals.