Dinosaur Egg Impresses Scientists

J.C.MacSwell

More precisely, writers of headlines and random people like you enjoy claiming that scientists are easily shocked. 

Further conversation should remain focused on the dinosaur egg as that’s the actual thread topic. 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

More precisely, writers of headlines and random people like you enjoy claiming that scientists are easily shocked. 

Further conversation should remain focused on the dinosaur egg as that’s the actual thread topic. 

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was kidding. Such headlines, I guess, are just click baits. Thought about it because the thread topic mentions impressing scientists. I don't enjoy claiming that scientists are easily shocked but rather enjoy making fun of popular science reports.

8 hours ago, Genady said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was kidding. Such headlines, I guess, are just click baits. Thought about it because the thread topic mentions impressing scientists. I don't enjoy claiming that scientists are easily shocked but rather enjoy making fun of popular science reports.

Just semantics, but I thought "impressed" was more accurate than "astounds", and thus the thread title.

From the link:

"It is an amazing specimen...I have been working on dinosaur eggs for 25 years and have yet to see anything like it," Zelenitsky told CNN through email. "Up until now, little has been known of what was going on inside a dinosaur's egg prior to hatching, as there are so few embryonic skeletons, particularly those that are complete and preserved in a life pose."

I also think it's impressive, perhaps tantalising. But no paradigm seems to have been overturned.

It seems that the most important surprise factor comes from the good state of preservation, rather than it beeing completely unexpected.

I wouldn't be surprised either if new discoveries converge to a picture in which some of what we think to be 'modern features' actually arose much farther back, which seems to be the direction this finding is going.

3 hours ago, joigus said:

I also think it's impressive, perhaps tantalising. But no paradigm seems to have been overturned.

It seems that the most important surprise factor comes from the good state of preservation, rather than it beeing completely unexpected.

I wouldn't be surprised either if new discoveries converge to a picture in which some of what we think to be 'modern features' actually arose much farther back, which seems to be the direction this finding is going.

Exactly. It's the state of preservation that is remarkable. From what I understand, it shows that the embryos of this species of dinosaur were folded up inside the egg in just the same way as modern birds.  Which is interesting, but perhaps what one might have expected rather than not. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.