rules comment split from 1000 ways to die #316

Without watching the movie, it is not possible to answer.

In my opinion rule 2.7 has some nonsense. On one side people should not click any link and watch movies, on the other side it is told that  videos should accompanied with enough text  to set the tone of discussion. How to discuss a movie it its not allowed to watch. I think you have to check the rules for reasanable using. Or you are saying its not allowed to post any videos. Especial the topic of ways to dying.

I literally can’t watch the movie, and this kind of thing happens a lot.

here’s what I see:

1A9A0976-0FF8-46FC-ADB6-A629FFB1993C.jpeg

Posting videos isn’t forbidden. What is forbidden is basing a thread solely or mostly on an outside link, rather than discussion posted here.

1 hour ago, chenbeier said:

Without watching the movie, it is not possible to answer.

In my opinion rule 2.7 has some nonsense. On one side people should not click any link and watch movies, on the other side it is told that  videos should accompanied with enough text  to set the tone of discussion. How to discuss a movie it its not allowed to watch. I think you have to check the rules for reasanable using. Or you are saying its not allowed to post any videos. Especial the topic of ways to dying.

You aren't considering the promotional aspect in context. We're inundated every day with commercial links and attempts to promote various YT channels and other for-profit endeavors. Not that the OP of the thread you're talking about is trying to push people to watch the movie, but it happens often. We try to use our best judgement, but people can be very clever about their agendas when money is involved. 

I might have invoked 2.7 on the grounds that there's no reason to watch a whole movie when the OP could just as well have described the situation he was unclear about without aiming our members offsite. It was a language problem that kept the OP from understanding rather than a science problem, iirc.