Reality and perception. Split from: Does the time exist?

Holmes

15 minutes ago, studiot said:

You asked for some I gave you some.

I did not say there were not plenty more.

It's not the quantity, it's the scope.

Engineering Science is largely about the synthesis of that which does not (yet) exist.

Which is about prediction, and still includes making and using models, which is the salient point. As I said, this is a matter of how you use your model, rathe than being in a new category exclusive of making and testing models.

If I suggested that I "limit(ed) (my) definition of Science to analysis and only to analysis of what is" that was not my intent.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

It's not the quantity, it's the scope.

Which is about prediction, and still includes making and using models, which is the salient point. As I said, this is a matter of how you use your model, rathe than being in a new category exclusive of making and testing models.

If I suggested that I "limit(ed) (my) definition of Science to analysis and only to analysis of what is" that was not my intent.

So now we are on the same page.

There is a great deal of modelling in its widest sense going on in Science.

There is also a great deal of data collection and collation.

Not all of this is mathematical, or has any significant mathematical content.

For instance.

A scientific investigation migh look into what materials (chemicals) were used by a certain painter in his studios in the late 1500s.

More could be developed from this data, including some (slightly) mathematical comparisons to test an offered painting as being by this artist, or to suggest cause of death or to develop a model of available materials at that time.

Edit  Two further examples.

It is common parlance to say "The Moon emerged from (behind) the clouds".

Scientific use is more restriced than this common English use and would not say this was an emergent phenomenon.

However some quantum phenomena (eg Heisenberg's Uncertainty Princilple) are emergent from the Mathematics of matrix algebra where

A.B   is sometimes not equal to B.A

Where A and B are matrices representing certain quantities.

Edited by studiot