Do you think we will always want more?

Alex Mercer

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have super human abilities like super strength or teleportation or flying etc. and it made me think well if I had it then what then? I have that now and I can do these cool things but after that short period of time of being excited of stuff you can do then it's going to become something you consider a norm about yourself. I guess you can apply the same for a utopia/a perfect world, people would just get bored of the norm and want more and more 

Idk, just random thought I had

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Alex Mercer said:

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have super human abilities like super strength or teleportation or flying etc. and it made me think well if I had it then what then? I have that now and I can do these cool things but after that short period of time of being excited of stuff you can do then it's going to become something you consider a norm about yourself. I guess you can apply the same for a utopia/a perfect world, people would just get bored of the norm and want more and more 

Idk, just random thought I had

Thoughts?

Compared to a blind quadriplegic most of us are endowed with superhuman powers in a relative sense.

True but I guess it depends on whether they are born with disability or not. If they were born with it then I guess it would be easier to live with because a blind life is all they know but if they lost it but once had it, that desire to want to have sight again would cause them suffering.

There are two key factors under consideration here, IMO. One is the way our drive for more (resources, safety, security, food, shelter, convenience, etc.) has been selected evolutionarily. Those who did better proactively obtaining resources tended to reproduce more successfully than those who didn’t. The other is desensitization and how our baseline for what is and is not enough is relative. We get used to what we have, but the drive to obtain more doesn’t exactly go dormant even when we have enough. It takes training and mindfulness and conscious focus to overcome these underlying tendencies which are often operating within us without us even realizing it.