Events,dear boy

geordief

Well ,I was in at the fire last night, staring at it and waiting for a piece of wood to burn through and fall down.

It seemed to me that ,no matter how closely I paid attention to this anticipated  event  it always  occurred  when I was not looking.

Can I elevate this seeming characteristic  of such events into something  of a principle?

Do "events" never exist  in isolation but always as part of a sequence and are the links in the chain of these sequences always blurry and never "standalone ?

Or is it  more a question of our inability to see clearly enough and in enough detail?

So  do all events "bleed into one another " in spite of one's inclination to believe that they are separate from one another?

12 hours ago, geordief said:

It seemed to me that ,no matter how closely I paid attention to this anticipated  event  it always  occurred  when I was not looking.

Or is it  more a question of our inability to see clearly enough and in enough detail?

How about this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=human+concentration+time

"According to a study by Microsoft, the average human being now has an attention span of eight seconds. This is a sharp decrease from the average attention span of 12 seconds in the year 2000."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_span

Then you weren’t paying attention well enough 

Do "events" never exist  in isolation but always as part of a sequence

Seems reasonable 

and are the links in the chain of these sequences always blurry and never "standalone ?

Suspect this is more a function of limitations in human memory and recall than of spacetime itself. 

Good point. Limitations in vision matter, too… but as sensei already highlighted, we tend to be rather bad at paying close attention. 

So  do all events "bleed into one another " in spite of one's inclination to believe that they are separate from one another?

Depends on which model you’re using to describe them. Are they quantized or continuous…