Jump to content

What are rules in the context of knowledge and philosophy?


Recommended Posts

The purpose of this topic is for me to try and gain a better understanding of what "rules" are in the context of understanding of what knowledge is.

The question that I wish to begin this topic on is "what are rules ?" in the context of philosophy?

My current understanding of them is that they are repeated actions or behaviors of some observation. Say for example seeing a car multiple times in a row. You may define a rule stating that "a car will pass by."

Thank you for your responses.

edit: reduced it to remove all the vagueness

Edited by ALine
wanted to make the title more meaningful
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ALine changed the title to What are rules in the context of knowledge and philosophy?
9 hours ago, ALine said:

The purpose of this topic is for me to try and gain a better understanding of what "rules" are in the context of understanding of what knowledge is.

The question that I wish to begin this topic on is "what are rules ?" in the context of philosophy?

My current understanding of them is that they are repeated actions or behaviors of some observation. Say for example seeing a car multiple times in a row. You may define a rule stating that "a car will pass by."

Thank you for your responses.

edit: reduced it to remove all the vagueness

https://plato.stanford.edu/contents.html#r

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, studiot said:

Thank you for your response @studiot however the link you provided does not necessarily define what rules are. Whereas it provides two sub links of "rule consequentialism" and the "rule of law."

Now rule consequentialism talks about the usage of a rule in the formulation of a given ideology such as utilitarianism. It also initially talks about the use of rules in the deciding of a given morality. However its only mentions is in passing and is not defined.

The "rule of law" speaks on distinguishing between "the rule of law" and "a rule of law" while also being applied to some given legal morality. However this type of rule I believe is applied in the scope of morality and not in scope understanding what knowledge is. Although I could be wrong.

I am looking more to define what a rule is based not on morality but from a framework of understanding what knowledge is.

Also while writing this I found something called, "Epistemic Rules." Not sure if this is what I am looking for.

Will read on to see what it is about.

Hopefully will not get distracted.

I have also seen and learned about "if->then" statements. Is this a rule?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ALine said:

The purpose of this topic is for me to try and gain a better understanding of what "rules" are in the context of understanding of what knowledge is.

That seems to be the purpose of philosophy, the rules are, ask a good question.

9 hours ago, ALine said:

The question that I wish to begin this topic on is "what are rules ?" in the context of philosophy?

My current understanding of them is that they are repeated actions or behaviors of some observation. Say for example seeing a car multiple times in a row. You may define a rule stating that "a car will pass by."

Thank you for your responses.

edit: reduced it to remove all the vagueness

 (bolded mine) You have failed, for instance knowledge and understanding have two different meanings.

You can know everthing about my life, but that doesn't mean you can understand me... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

My current understanding of them is that they are repeated actions or behaviors of some observation. Say for example seeing a car multiple times in a row. You may define a rule stating that "a car will pass by."

When I stated "My current understanding for them" I am meaning that the working comprehension I have developed is based on knowledge which may not be true. In this I believe that I have distinguished a difference in meaning between "knowledge" and "understanding."

What I mean by understanding is that I am trying to apply some given piece of knowledge which leads up to the quoted section above. The piece of knowledge that may be true or false.

I do not see where I may have confused the terms "understanding" and "knowledge." If I have please point it out in the my wording and I will correct myself.

 

Edited by ALine
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ALine said:

When I stated "My current understanding for them" I am meaning that the working comprehension I have developed is based on knowledge which may not be true. In this I believe that I have distinguished a difference in meaning between "knowledge" and "understanding."

That's, the curse of knowledge... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ALine said:

Thank you for your response @studiot however the link you provided does not necessarily define what rules are. Whereas it provides two sub links of "rule consequentialism" and the "rule of law."

You seem to be asking for the rules of logic.

There are many.

Did you try typing into the search box the rules of logic ?

https://plato.stanford.edu/search/searcher.py?query=rules+of+logic

 

As you found out Philosophy consider all sorts of other rules of other matters as well.

The Stanford Encyclopedia is a sort of Wikpedia of Philosophy.

I started you near the beginning and hoped you would find your way round it a bit.

Like Wikipedia or Google, the more specific your question the better focused your answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, studiot said:

Did you try typing into the search box the rules of logic ?

I...did not

11 minutes ago, studiot said:

As you found out Philosophy consider all sorts of other rules of other matters as well.

The Stanford Encyclopedia is a sort of Wikpedia of Philosophy.

I started you near the beginning and hoped you would find your way round it a bit.

Like Wikipedia or Google, the more specific your question the better focused your answer.

Ah..I see. I was being stupid and miss interpreted what your link meant. My mistake. I will take a look around.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.