Whats the point of private schools!?

The dark lord

I do not fully understand private schools (Harvard, Jale,..). I wonder why would anyone expel a student whos giving them money! Therefore the exams have to be realy easy. Even the rules have to be mild.

I am sorry if i insulted somebody with this thread! I only want an explanation.

Originally posted by The dark lord

I do not fully understand private schools (Harvard, Jale,..). I wonder why would anyone expel a student whos giving them money! Therefore the exams have to be realy easy. Even the rules have to be mild.

I am sorry if i insulted somebody with this thread! I only want an explanation.

For a start, it's 'Yale', if you're referring to the university.

Secondly, they probably do go easier on someone making a large donation at the same time, but their reputation for excellence would be diminished if they made the exams easier, and simultaneously their appeal.

Originally posted by The dark lord

That would mean that money isnt the world leader after all?! Excuse me but "you" americans are known to be money freaks! You have some dignity after all!

eh?

Money does have an influence on their decisions to perform some disciplinary actions, but quite frankly a university's reputation is never going to be something you can buy. They're not stupid enough to start randomly accepting people in order of the size of their wallet.

As MrL pointed out, if they start accepting people because their parents are completely loaded, their reputation is going to go down the toilet rather quickly. If a university has a bad reputation, then people aren't going to pay their fees in the first place and hence it'll just degrade from there.

Schools, such as those that make up America's Ivy League, and England's Oxford and Cambridge, do certainly hold themselves to high academic standards. Why though, if they are comitted to the intrinsics of acedemia, do they charge such outrageous tuitions? This delimits lower and middle class intellects from obtaining an education worthy of their capabilities. I think the bottom line, sadly, is one of greed and ego vice a genuine desire to provide top notch education. Imagine an educational institution who's goal was to find the brightest people irregardless of socioeconomic class! That would truly provide a diversity of intellects that could really make advancements.

Oxford and Cambridge charge exactly the same as every other university in England, to native students at least. CUSU (Cambridge University Student's Union) have also pledged to help any student in financial difficulty. Indeed, the university itself has stated that lack of funds will not stop a student from holding a place, if they are academically qualified.

That's the good university (and oxford) out of your statement, now we've just got the american ones, which I don't hold with.

So much for that argument.

If anyone had a gripe with Oxford or Cambridge I would have thought their admission policies would be the ones to be moaned about.

Not their official policies as such, rather the people they reject and the people they admit. Every few months a story runs in the British press about the larger numbers of public school kids to state edcated kids, or the nationality imbalances etc.

Three of my year applied to Oxbridge. One of my friends was rejected and shes the most academically able person I know, with an outgoing personality and someone who i would have thought is perfecrtly suited to what Oxbridge is looking for, although in saying that the standard of other aplicants is usually so high that someone you consider a sure fire thing might not pass the interview. Another one got rejected (shes an annoying fat b**** so I was ecstatic about that) andanother friend got accepted, but he declined the offer. he thought oxford would be immensely boring for student life, which looked the case. Instead hes going to St Andrews with me, although I suspect (know) his girlfriend being there played the largest part of convincing him.

It's partially pot luck, the interview systems (remember she may have just had a poor interview, it happens), but all the newspaper stories are complete tosh.

eg. Laura Spence.

Rejected for Medicine at Oxford. Accepted for Biochemistry at Harvard.

BUT SHE GOT THREE A'S! the papers cried.

Yes, so did the people who got in

Cambridge isn't boring for SL, and from what I hear from people I know there oxford isn't either.

Originally posted by greg1917

Three of my year applied to Oxbridge. One of my friends was rejected and shes the most academically able person I know, with an outgoing personality and someone who i would have thought is perfecrtly suited to what Oxbridge is looking for

Not all oxbridge colleges - indeed, not all interviewers even within one subject at one college - are looking for the same things.

For example, maths proffessors prefer blondes.

• 7 months later...

Just read in a news paper a english microbiologist quit his job to go be a boiler maker cause he gets paid over twice as much, to many people are going to uni now so all the other trades jobs are begining to pay good.......im off to go get a sparky apprentiship

Whereas I pay NOTHING to go to university. Thats the square root of zero. Or the number of people to have walked on Mars.

My tuition fees are FREE. I laugh so hard when I hear of American uni's charging 20, 30k per YEAR for education!!!

Neurocomp2003 said in post #15 :

GO CANADA>..our tuition costs $4k-5k CDN and if you get scholarships it can go as low as $2k. And then we ship them off to other schools for grad school!

lol

Some domestic grad schools are pretty good.

greg1917 said in post #17 :

Whereas I pay NOTHING to go to university. Thats the square root of zero. Or the number of people to have walked on Mars.

My tuition fees are FREE. I laugh so hard when I hear of American uni's charging 20, 30k per YEAR for education!!!

How??

• 4 months later...
I do not fully understand private schools (Harvard' date=' Jale,..). I wonder why would anyone expel a student whos giving them money! Therefore the exams have to be realy easy. Even the rules have to be mild.

I am sorry if i insulted somebody with this thread! I only want an explanation.[/quote']

I have heard actually that it is possible. A friend of a friend is a postdoc at harvard and says that he knows of a lot of people who are dumb dumb!