Dogs and/or Cats

beecee

My previous dog who died a few years ago at the age of 13.5 years....

20 Best Guard Dog Breeds, According To Expert Dog Trainers_2

what I now have.....6,742 Mini Dachshund Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

and Miniature Dachshund – Fun Facts and Crate Size – Pet Crates Direct

My parents bred mini Dachy's and the reason I switched once my best mate passed away.....

Edited by beecee

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Can't hardly tell them apart! Perfect coat and points.

Perhaps the fact that the black and tans Dachy's, are the same colouration as the Rottweilers and my old mate....my parents bred the miniature red Dachy's. The best advantage of this dog, is that they do not get any doggy smell about them (my wife suffers from asthma) and ease of maintenance in general, along with the fact that they are great feet warmers in bed.

The two I've known - a black & tan and a red (more chestnut, really) were alert, lively, smart (enough) and good-natured. But they didn't get on well with other dogs animals - perhaps just because they were raised as onlies. In our house, there was usually a mix of pets. When my SO's Great Pyrenees was ill, the only way we could get her to take medication was hidden in a cat-food sandwich, shared out among all three dogs. She never twigged that she always got the last bite, the one I'd had my thumb on.   

48 minutes ago, beecee said:

Perhaps the fact that the black and tans Dachy's, are the same colouration as the Rottweilers and my old mate....my parents bred the miniature red Dachy's. The best advantage of this dog, is that they do not get any doggy smell about them (my wife suffers from asthma) and ease of maintenance in general, along with the fact that they are great feet warmers in bed.

The one problem that can be of concern is hips displacia and back complications, which was the cause of the demise of the three dogs my parents had. My two, have been taught never to jump off or on the lounge/bed and to just ask first and they will be lifted.