Bartholomew Jones’ view of science (split from So, you've got a new theory...)

Bartholomew Jones

On 5/21/2005 at 5:49 PM, swansont said:

1. You have to back your statements up with evidence.

That just makes for a strong statement.

2. Anecdotes are not evidence.

One person's testimony in a court of law is not conclusive, but might be admitted as evidence.

3. Being challenged to present evidence is not a personal attack.

If sarcasm is present, if by tone only, mockery is present.

4. Calling the people in who challenge you "brainwashed" or "stupid" does not further your argument. Neither does throwing a tantrum.

Agree.

5. Published research (peer-reviewed) is more credible than the alternative. But peer-review is not perfect.

Published research was anecdotal before being peer reviewed.  Peer review is more supportive evidence.

. . .

What I'm leading up to is this: the only objective argument begins justified and proceeds justified.  If you begin with a theory, you can't finish justified if relative anecdotal evidence (sic) is dismissed.  Establish it as not relative before proceeding.

2 minutes ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

One person's testimony in a court of law is not conclusive, but might be admitted as evidence.

Law is not science, science is not law.

If sarcasm is present, if by tone only, mockery is present.

The item was “Being challenged to present evidence is not a personal attack.” Nobody said anything about sarcasm. 

Published research was anecdotal before being peer reviewed.  Peer review is more supportive evidence.

No, that’s not true. You should investigate what “anecdotal” means with regard to evidence, and what “peer review” entails.

What I'm leading up to is this: the only objective argument begins justified and proceeds justified.  If you begin with a theory, you can't finish justified if relative anecdotal evidence (sic) is dismissed.  Establish it as not relative before proceeding.  Or else, admit it as evidence.  It's proportional like any other evidence.  It doesn't establish proof. 

1 minute ago, swansont said:

The item was “Being challenged to present evidence is not a personal attack.” Nobody said anything about sarcasm. 

No, that’s not true. You should investigate what “anecdotal” means with regard to evidence, and what “peer review” entails.

Peer review as an accounting term means that the accounts are subject to review by peers.

An anecdote is a personal account, correct?

5 minutes ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

Peer review as an accounting term means that the accounts are subject to review by peers.

Peer review is also a science term. As accounting is also not science, one must allow for the possibility they don’t share a definition

6 minutes ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

An anecdote is a personal account, correct?

It’s often personal.. Anecdotal means it lacks rigor and is more prone to bias. It’s not collected systematically 

1 hour ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

Both deal objectively with facts and figures.

Im just further qualifying the subject.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Peer review is also a science term. As accounting is also not science, one must allow for the possibility they don’t share a definition

Both seek objectivity.  Objectivity is justified; requires justification.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

It’s often personal.. Anecdotal means it lacks rigor and is more prone to bias. It’s not collected systematically 

Either way, it's a form, not of proof, of evidence.  A theory is subject. Not an established proof; evidence.

I'm equating an anecdote with testimony.

6. When you have been shown to be wrong, acknowledge it.

In every case, if you convince me I'm wrong, I'll acknowledge it.  It requires proof, not evidence.

Edited by Bartholomew Jones

It requires proof, not evidence.

Proofs are for math. Science doesn’t deal in proof. Any claims are always provisional and subject to change as new evidence arrives. 

You’ve likely taken this thread beyond its core intent. Your voice has been heard and you’ve received respectful response. Perhaps reciprocate that respect and move on. 

12 minutes ago, iNow said:

Proofs are for math. Science doesn’t deal in proof. Any claims are always provisional and subject to change as new evidence arrives. 

You’ve likely taken this thread beyond its core intent. Your voice has been heard and you’ve received respectful response. Perhaps reciprocate that respect and move on. 

So cease to proceed down the OPs list?

3 hours ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

Either way, it's a form, not of proof, of evidence.  A theory is subject. Not an established proof; evidence.

In every case, if you convince me I'm wrong, I'll acknowledge it.  It requires proof, not evidence.

Let's be objective here. 

There is a disconnect between your data/approach/theory/whatever, and the way things are done around here. That should be clear by now.

You can continue to beat your head against the wall in an effort to get everyone here to come around to your way, or you can come around to the way things are done here.

The only other way I can think you'll find success is to try a place that is more in line with your approach. 

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Let's be objective here. 

There is a disconnect between your data/approach/theory/whatever, and the way things are done around here. That should be clear by now.

You can continue to beat your head against the wall in an effort to get everyone here to come around to your way, or you can come around to the way things are done here.

The only other way I can think you'll find success is to try a place that is more in line with your approach. 

Good luck.

It's never luck.  Sometimes it's time and chance.

Usually the one saying, "that's not the way it's done 'roun these parts," is the one out of order.

I'm quite casual about this forum.  You seem more the type to become frustrated.  I do get quite zealous, but anxiety is not my common response.

1 minute ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

It's never luck.  Sometimes it's time and chance.

Usually the one saying, "that's not the way it's done 'roun these parts," is the one out of order.

I'm quite casual about this forum.  You seem more the type to become frustrated.  I do get quite zealous, but anxiety is not my common response.

Yeah, I figured you'd just dismiss the possibility that you could be part of the problem. Oh well.

12 hours ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

Not in this case, because the topic is “how things are done ‘roun these parts” and you’re basically telling us that the way things are done is wrong, despite not being familiar with “these parts”

15 hours ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

A problem here is that when two things are different, it doesn’t mean that every feature is different. Pointing out the features that are the same isn’t illuminating.