alrighty people I think I got it

tabasco man

Me and mi el buddies were talkin at work today and I brought up the Quantum thing and one of me el buddies whos perty smart told me that the main theory behind quantum mechanics is that a particle can be in two places at one time

Is that right mi amigos

Me and mi el buddies were talkin at work today and I brought up the Quantum thing and one of me el buddies whos perty smart told me that the main theory behind quantum mechanics is that a particle can be in two places at one time

Is that right mi amigos

please stop with the fake spanish. your bad spanish [acr=Spelling And Grammar]SPAG[/acr] makes me cry almost as much as your bad SPAG in english.

there is a lot of stuff in qm. wavefunction([imath]\Psi[/imath]) is a big deal. as well as the [acr=Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle]HUP[/acr]([imath]{\Delta}x{\Delta}\rho{\geq}\frac{\hbar}{2}[/imath]). try searching SFN and if you still have specific questions, feel free to post them.

a particle can be in two places at one time
No. And no that is not the meaning of the superposition principle either.

Everett's 'Many worlds' interpretation of QM was never popular or accepted. It is now discredited. Try the Transactional Interpretation of QM.

I read his post as refereing to the uncertainty principle, as it is possible for a particle to be in 2 places at once (sent a single photon through 2 slits and it passes through both of them)...

Are you sure that wasn't a wave instead of a particle?

The problem is that saying something "is in two places at once" in QM just doesn't have much meaning. You have a state function. When you measure the position, you will not find that the particle is in two places. The slit business is dependant on not measuring the state function until after it has passed through them. You can't say it went through both. You might say the probability distribution depends on your assuming it did, but even that is just one way of looking at it.

Also, there are plenty of people who can defend the MWI just fine. There certainly is no definitive reason you couldn't accept it, though I don't.

Are you sure that wasn't a wave instead of a particle?

Wave particle duality, you can do the same thing with electrons and even some single atoms, can't remember what the biggest thing it's been observed with though... It is a wave like characteristic though...

it's not "the el particle", it's "la partícula." it's not "el gravito", it is "gravidad" with no article. it is not "mi el amigos"; that means "my the friends" and even then has some grammar problems. it would be "mis amigos." please don't use spanish if you don't use it correctly and in the entirety of the post.

i think i know what you are talking about, but, iirc, the copenhagen interpretation is what is commonly accepted. right now, i can't remember the name of the new interpretation you are talking about.

it's not "the el particle"' date=' it's "la partícula." it's not "el gravito", it is "gravidad" with no article. it is not "mi el amigos"; that means "my the friends" and even then has some grammar problems. it would be "mis amigos." please don't use spanish if you don't use it correctly and in the entirety of the post.

[/quote']

I'll just say, "No habla wreckspanol" and leave it at that.