Wireless energy transfer, CPT reversal symmetry

Moreno

Could you comment this one article? There seem to be very few info on this technology. How exactly does it work? Could it really work at any distance? At what efficiency?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/06/quantum-principle-harnessed-to-create-easier-wireless-charging/?comments=1&post=33496691

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318092214_Robust_wireless_power_transfer_using_a_nonlinear_parity-time-symmetric_circuit

Edited by Moreno

29 minutes ago, Moreno said:

Could you comment this one article? There seem to be very few info on this technology. How exactly does it work? Could it really work at any distance? At what efficiency?

Sounds like a circuit that uses the interaction between the two subsystems (charger and "chargee") to automatically find the most efficient frequency for transfers.

It works, as they say, up to 1 metre. With an efficiency of 10% with the potential to increase that to over 80%. Which would, I think, be comparable to or maybe slightly more efficient than current systems. I imagine it will be years before a research concept like this makes it into real products (if it ever does).

1 hour ago, Moreno said:

Could it really work at any distance? At what efficiency?

No. "Our results show that the transfer efficiency remains near unity over a distance variation of approximately one metre, without the need for any tuning."

The Ars Technica link is almost physics-free, and the Nature article is paywalled. 

And searching is fraught with problems, because CPT also stands for "capacitive power transfer"

39 minutes ago, Moreno said:

So, how exactly quantum mechanics is involved here?

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8639115

Hard to say from the abstract. Can you cite a paper that isn't paywalled?

It's possible there's no hard-core QM here. Other things I've read talk about parity + time symmetry, and that's not strictly a QM concept.

39 minutes ago, Moreno said:

So, how exactly quantum mechanics is involved here?

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8639115

It sounds to me as if it is just an analogy. But it really isn't clear.

There is this: https://news.stanford.edu/2017/06/14/big-advance-wireless-charging-moving-electric-cars/

It doesn't give much more information in the text. The video might say more.

From reading the original article I posted in the beginning I got impression they are talking about some kind of a "quantum entanglement" and no classical magnetic field is used between the sender and the receiver. If I'm wrong could you explain what is that?

Edited by Moreno

1 hour ago, Moreno said:

From reading the original article I posted in the beginning I got impression they are talking about some kind of a "quantum entanglement" and no classical magnetic field is used between the sender and the receiver. If I'm wrong could you explain what is that?

Your impression is wrong. It does not say they are using quantum entanglement. It does say that they use classical electromagnetism.

The Are Tecnica article (a very good website about technology, not so good about science) has added the bit about PT symmetry being similar to CPT symmetry which is important in quantum theory.

PT symmetry exists in classical physics. For example, if you have an object moving in the X direction with velocity V, it is the same as an object moving in the -X direction with velocity -V. Swap both the direction (P) and velocity (T) and you end up with the same result. (That may not be the best or most accurate analogy, but it is the best I can come up with at this time of night!)

I have no idea how that relates to their system. It sounds like they are using some sort of negative feedback circuit so it self-tunes to the optimal frequency.

1 hour ago, Strange said:

I have no idea how that relates to their system. It sounds like they are using some sort of negative feedback circuit so it self-tunes to the optimal frequency.

It says no tuning for the P-T Solution. The key seems to be the circuit, and the gain device. But there’s no detail in the abstracts.

• 3 weeks later...

Could there be a way to transfer energy for a long distance (miles to hundreds of miles) by using some slight variety of the "quantum entanglement"? Probably it needs to differ from the classical one when coherence is destroyed. Of course the speed of transfer supposes not to exceed the speed of light.