Simulations- String Theory and other things. Split from: Are the weirdnesses of QM still regarded as mysteries to be resolved?

QuantumT

5 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

There are things I consider impossible, like backwards time travel, and the existence of a divine creator.

Impossible in the "real" universe or in simulated simulated one?

:-)

8 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

Both

If someone has the ability to simulate what I currently believe to be "the reality" then I guess they could possess the skills needed to simulate a divine creator if they wanted to. And simulate time travel as well.

Just now, Ghideon said:

If someone has the ability to simulate what I currently believe to be "the reality" then I guess they could possess the skills needed to simulate a divine creator if they wanted to. And simulate time travel as well.

Wouldn't that be a fake divinity? I would definitively deem it fake. But yes, the biblical "god" could exist, as a puppet creator. Wouldn't that be hilarious? 🤣

Backwards time travel is a whole different problem. We would need to somehow gain control of the simulation computer itself, and reverse time. Would that even be possible? Would they allow it? I think the answer is a double no.

2 hours ago, QuantumT said:

Wouldn't that be a fake divinity? I would definitively deem it fake. But yes, the biblical "god" could exist, as a puppet creator. Wouldn't that be hilarious? 🤣

Backwards time travel is a whole different problem. We would need to somehow gain control of the simulation computer itself, and reverse time. Would that even be possible? Would they allow it? I think the answer is a double no.

Could be as easy as loading yourself into a save file.

I don't know. I've seen bots crash their own simulation before due to a free energy bug, so wouldn't rule out the possibility of doing something less drastic (if we are in a simulation).

Edited by Endy0816

16 minutes ago, Strange said:

Nope. This is an almost childlike belief.

What's the harm in that?

One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.

- ROBERT A. HEINLEIN

11 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

What's the harm in that?

Nothing at all. Many people are comforted in their beliefs.

Your use of the Heinlein quote is an example of a logical fallacy. Just because science has has been wrong in the past does not mean that everything is wrong. Just because some things that were thought to be impossible later turned out to be possible does not mean that anything is possible.

Your naive belief that it may be possible in future to imagine a test for Last Thursdayism is based on this same fallacy.

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Nothing at all. Many people are comforted in their beliefs.

Everybody is comforted in their beliefs. That's just how humans work.

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Your use of the Heinlein quote is an example of a logical fallacy. Just because science has has been wrong in the past does not mean that everything is wrong. Just because some things that were thought to be impossible later turned out to be possible does not mean that anything is possible.

Your naive belief that it may be possible in future to imagine a test for Last Thursdayism is based on this same fallacy.

I did withdraw anything by putting it in quotation. And mentioned a couple of things I consider impossible. I'm not completely gullible.