Fine structure constant different in universe

Bmpbmp1975

6 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

Just cam across this article that the fine structure constant is different and is changing all over the universe 

From article, bold by me:

Research by astrophysicist John Webb on varying constants of nature will profoundly impact our view of the universe if validated.

So the article does not contain what you say. The article seems more about speculations about implications of research not yet confirmed. 

4 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

From article, bold by me:

So the article does not contain what you say. The article seems more about speculations about implications of research not yet confirmed. 

Yes but it says they found different constants in different parts of the universe 

When my colleagues and I looked at the spectra of gas clouds in the early universe and compare with the same elements measured in laboratories on Earth, we saw very slight but significant differences,” said Webb. “We only know of four forces in nature: electromagnetism, gravity, and the strong and weak forces acting within atomic nuclei themselves. And at least one of them, in other regions of the universe, now appears to be different from that on Earth.

By combining the data from the two telescopes that look in opposite directions, the researchers found that, 10 billion years ago, alpha seems to have been larger by about one part in 100,000 in the southern direction and smaller by one part in 100,000 in the northern direction. The data for this “dipole” model of alpha has a statistical significance of about 4.1 sigma, meaning that that there is only a one in 15,000 chance that it is a random event.

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

12 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

Yes but it says they found different constants in different parts of the universe 

No. Article contains ”appears to have”, ”intriguing implication”, ”if”, ”may”... 

It does not say that constants differ. You seem to misinterprete the article. 

Edited by Ghideon
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

No. Article contains ”appears to have”, ”intriguing implication”, ”if”, ”may”... 

It does not say that constants differ. You Seem to misinterprete te article. 

Which is SO so strange because he’s never once presented misinterpretations or faux reading comprehension problems here. Oh wait...

!

Moderator Note

Locked. OP appears to have severe reading comprehension issues, which, in moderation is not an issue. But since most thread are exclusively based on them with no sign of improvement I am going to shut it down before more time is being wasted.