Psychiatry Does Not Exist or Should Not Exist

Here's something with a little meat on the bone that adds a bit of weight to the underlying point our OP is trying (and struggling) to describe:

https://neurosciencenews.com/meaningless-psychiatric-diagnosis-14434/

A new study, published in Psychiatry Research, has concluded that psychiatric diagnoses are scientifically worthless as tools to identify discrete mental health disorders.

(snip)

The main findings of the research were:

• Psychiatric diagnoses all use different decision-making rules
  • There is a huge amount of overlap in symptoms between diagnoses
  • Almost all diagnoses mask the role of trauma and adverse events
  • Diagnoses tell us little about the individual patient and what treatment they need

The authors conclude that diagnostic labeling represents ‘a disingenuous categorical system’.'

(snip)

Professor Peter Kinderman, University of Liverpool, said: “This study provides yet more evidence that the biomedical diagnostic approach in psychiatry is not fit for purpose. Diagnoses frequently and uncritically reported as ‘real illnesses’ are in fact made on the basis of internally inconsistent, confused and contradictory patterns of largely arbitrary criteria. The diagnostic system wrongly assumes that all distress results from disorder, and relies heavily on subjective judgments about what is normal.”

4 minutes ago, iNow said:

Here's something with a little meat on the bone that adds a bit of weight to the underlying point our OP is trying (and struggling) to describe:

https://neurosciencenews.com/meaningless-psychiatric-diagnosis-14434/

Good find!

Of course, they don't say psychiatry shouldn't exist, just that it needs to find better ways of describing / identifying people's problems.

• 11 months later...

OP, I can't get my autism and anxiety meds without my psychiatrist. I would get suicidal without them. Without them, I'd probably have died already. Are you saying that you want to deprive me of the medicine that prevents me from killing myself by taking away my psychiatrist?