Dyson Sphere

ydoaPs

I see. Hmmm.

Perhaps you are doing it all backwards. The mass will determine the gravitational stresses on the superstructure, so you're probably going to want it to be within a very specific mass range. Which will determine the thickness of the sections.

i was also asking about it, because if it is too thin, it will act like a solar sail and be puched outwards in all directions. on PF, the suggested using a thinn(few milimeter thick) reflective foil that reflects the energy to collectors. wouldn't there be a big pressure on the foil pushing against its frame?

Yes i expect there would. What's stopping space debris from smashing into it and causing major damage?

Although, if the outward pressure of the wind balanced out the inward force of gravity then i guess it could be thinner; but again it would be too easily damaged.

What's stopping space debris from smashing into it and causing major damage?
For one thing you've rounded up all the asteroids, comets, meteors, plutinos, Kuiper Belt Objects, scattered disc objects, minor planets, Oort cloud planetesimals, and anything that moves, to make the sphere in the first place.

For one thing you've rounded up all the asteroids, comets, meteors, plutinos, Kuiper Belt Objects, scattered disc objects, minor planets, Oort cloud planetesimals, and anything that moves, to make the sphere in the first place.

I doubt you could also round up all the dust that is out there, even up to a single AU. A particle of dust going 16,000 miles an hour can do a lot of damage.

• 2 weeks later...
I doubt you could also round up all the dust that is out there, even up to a single AU. A particle of dust going 16,000 miles an hour can do a lot of damage.

On the other hand, the vast majority of the inner surface is going to be unpopulated, so it can probably stand to take a good few hits, just like Earth does.

just thinking about the bowshock that the solar wind makes as the sun moves through the galaxy and i thought, if you make a dyson sphere then the solar wind is blocked and the galactic wind(is there a better name for it?) would eventually start hitting the sphere. Would this be serious or is it not worth bothering about?

just thinking about the bowshock that the solar wind makes as the sun moves through the galaxy and i thought, if you make a dyson sphere then the solar wind is blocked and the galactic wind(is there a better name for it?) would eventually start hitting the sphere. Would this be serious or is it not worth bothering about?

Would it be like increasing the air pressure inside a glass bottle until it breaks?

that idea has been around for a long time and considered by nasa quite often, although it takes a ship the length of the golden gate bridge in order to keep the astronauts from getting sick

however in a sphere the top and bottom and the rest of the shere except the area perpendicular to the axis of rotation (don't know a better way to say that) wouldn't get gravity

plus in the end if you have the tech to build this thing you have the tech to create artificial gravity, and heck you probably have the technology to get more energy than a star produces in its lifetime.

out of curiosity how much energy would it take just to move all that mass into an orbit of 1 au melt it all down smelt it and then make a sphere out of it. My guess more energy than a star produces in a billion years.

It seems like, given the vast internal surface area of a dyson sphere, even if the technology did exist to supply artificial gravity to the entire inner surface it would probably take a significant amount of the power generated by the star just to maintain it. If this were the case it would make the entire process pretty pointless, since the only real reason to build a dyson sphere in the first place is to harness the energy of the star within it - there are far easier ways to just get more living space.