Pride vs Humility

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Exactly, it forgets about everyone who helps, the path finders, the path builders, the farmers, the waste removers; it's like a gold medalist that forgets to thank the parent for driving them to the swimming pool, where they were taught to swim, and the cleaner that kept it safe to swim in...

I don't think they forget. 

Plus, most of these "helpers" didn't act in order to help the "millionaire" to become one. They, mostly, did what they did in order to help themselves and their families.

32 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I think that anyone who claims to be self made, does forget 'for whom this bell tolls'... 

This - my emphasis - is a narrower subset. You might be right about them, I don't know.

People you know who don’t say hello aren’t very grateful but they’re still a reminder to be humble when so many people are strangers. As such humility isn’t totally irreconcilable with pride if you were hyper-focused on mannerisms rather than mindset or vice versa. That is to say the dualistic mind can blur the lines whenever you assess the confidence of another person.

18 hours ago, Michael McMahon said:

People you know who don’t say hello aren’t very grateful but they’re still a reminder to be humble when so many people are strangers.

You've got to remember, "they're me in a different skin" (my little mantra), they might a have a perfectly innocent or valid reason for not behaving the way you want them too.

18 hours ago, Michael McMahon said:

As such humility isn’t totally irreconcilable with pride if you were hyper-focused on mannerisms rather than mindset or vice versa.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of yourself, for a job well done or an act of kindness, etc.; the problem with pride only comes when being proud of yourself, makes you think your better than that other "me in a different skin"; that's when hate rears it's ugly head. 

Edited by dimreepr

• 3 weeks later...

It's great that you recognize and appreciate the differences in people's personalities. You make a good point that in a collective sense, the variety of personalities can create synergy and lead to better outcomes. I agree that humility can make us more understanding, while pride can motivate us to be cooperative and achieve our goals. However, as you rightly pointed out, rudeness and condescension are never acceptable.

I concur with you that there is no one ideal type of personality and that people can vary according on the situation. It's critical to be conscious of our own qualities and areas for improvement, but not to the point of acting insincere. Finding a balance that works for each person is key.

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on this. To hear other viewpoints is always intriguing.