Stone Countertops (aka Hey guys)

ginaboyle275

I have tiled countertops in my kitchen but I accidentally dropped a heavy pot on my counter so it cracked instantly. I am looking to either replace the countertops with someone more fancy like marble or quartz. Is there a type of surface that is better for countertops that can withstand a lot of heat?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me with this.

dasd.jpg

Any stone for countertops is going to be pretty heat resistant, but most have some type of sealer on top that may discolor or crack if you put too hot a pot down on it. Buy some trivets or hot pads and you'll be fine no matter what you choose. 

As long as your stone top has a good thickness (I'd go 3 cm), it should resist actual breakage from dropping heavy objects on it, but they're all still subject to chipping. Your tiles broke under stress not only because they're a thinner material, but also because they're on a flexible plywood base. Be careful if you do go with a thicker granite, marble, or quartz when you set glass objects down. Because there isn't a flexible base, stone countertops are notoriously unforgiving if you set glassware down too hard.

I would also recommend avoiding any fancy or complicated edge treatments. Hard to clean, and it usually dates the remodel pretty clearly. Soft, classic edges and bevels are best, and won't go out of style quickly. 

If your new countertop extends over the edges of the base it rests on (like an island counter would), don't have more than a foot of extension without supporting it somehow (shelving brackets work). 

In my area in the US, you shop for the piece of stone big enough for all the surfaces you're replacing. A good installer will help you choose the best piece with the smallest footprint to give you the best coverage with as few seams as possible. 

2 hours ago, ginaboyle275 said:

I have tiled countertops in my kitchen but I accidentally dropped a heavy pot on my counter so it cracked instantly. I am looking to either replace the countertops with someone more fancy like marble or quartz. Is there a type of surface that is better for countertops that can withstand a lot of heat?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me with this.

dasd.jpg

There are also artifical stone products like corian and other trade makes.
These are made from ground up natural stone/rock material as filler bound in a polymer resin base.
So they are solid right through, unlike Formica type laminates which still have a plywood/particle board core.

http://www.corian.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-duY5Zn94QIVA4fVCh1Qfge4EAAYASAAEgL_U_D_BwE

And, of course there is always stainless steel.

Edited by studiot

What are you, Phi. a professional counter-top installer ?
Or did you just have your counter-tops redone ?

I wasn't aware of any of this stuff until I had to do some research, before replacing my counter-tops.

10 minutes ago, MigL said:

What are you, Phi. a professional counter-top installer ?
Or did you just have your counter-tops redone ?

I wasn't aware of any of this stuff until I had to do some research, before replacing my counter-tops.

I had them done a few years ago to replace Formica. Stone counters look good, and they'll wear better and continue to look better than Formica, but I'm still getting used to the stone's inability to absorb shocks. It's cold all the time, which is great in summer, not so much in winter. The natural stone coloring is the real reason to use it for countertops, imo. If you like having the beauty of the outdoors in your home, it's a great addition. It won't add to the value of your home if it's done in a way that will become outdated soon though (my sister did her kitchen in faux Country French with scalloped and fluted edges on her stone countertop, and it just screams "The 90s" now). 

Yeah, made the mistake of knocking over a 1l bottle of Cyanoacrylate glue on a relatively new countertop a couple of years ago.
You CANNOT get that stuff off !
Had to replace.

I thought stone would be the most durable also, but was informed that they will also stain/discolor because they either absorb the stain, or the sealer discolors.
Went with the Corian type, as Studiot has also recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen a tile countertop for a long time. I would suggest that if ever you had a chance and also a budget lol. You should probably get a quartzite for your countertop. Trust me, it's totally worth it! when I got those, though it was the best day of my life lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 1:22 AM, jscully730 said:

I haven't seen a tile countertop for a long time. I would suggest that if ever you had a chance and also a budget lol. You should probably get a quartzite for your countertop. Trust me, it's totally worth it! when I got those, though it was the best day of my life lol

yeah, that's why I'm thinking of having it remodeled or maybe just replace the countertop. Still looking for a good source that could provide me info about everything.

I already had my countertops replaced! Don't they look gorgeous? If you are interested check out commercial link removed by moderator. Thanks for your opinion guys. Hope you're all having a great day today!

786414229_quartzcountertop.jpg.be2c985bf81fa4f0e41027b14290c314.jpg

Edited by Phi for All
No advertising, please

27 minutes ago, ginaboyle275 said:

I already had my countertops replaced! Don't they look gorgeous?

!

Moderator Note

That's a stock photo used 6357 times on the web. Please don't come back here, we're a science discussion site, not your marketing arm. WE DON'T WANT YOU ADVERTISING LIES!