is time relative (Einstein) or can we say that the universe in itself has a certain age?

Maartenn100

Time is relative. (Einstein) Yet scientists say that the universe is 13.8 billion years old. But dependent on different clocks of different observers with a different speed or in a different gravitational field, the duration of time can differ. Isn't that a contradiction?

Edited by Maartenn100

15 minutes ago, Maartenn100 said:

Time is relative. (Einstein) Yet scientists say that the universe is 13.8 billion years old. But dependent on different clocks of different observers with a different speed or in a different gravitational field, the duration of time can differ. Isn't that a contradiction?

I do not think Special Relativity would enter into this, since we have no velocity relative to the universe.

As far as General Relativity goes, if there was a civilization that was on a planet orbiting close to a black hole (I do not know how that would actually be possible), I think you would in fact deduce that the universe was much younger than 13.8 billion years.  In any 'normal' gravitational scenario the effect of gravitational time dilation is negligible.

I await a response from one of our resident physic aces to give a better explanation (or possible point out where I am nutz)

24 minutes ago, Maartenn100 said:

Different observers could differ in their calculation of the age of the universe in their frame of reference. But ...

1. Any difference would be smaller than the errors in the estimated age so are not practically relevant.

2. We use "co-moving coordinates" to define the age, not our own frame of reference. If all observers were to convert their measurements to the same coordinate system, then they would agree on the age.

3. As both the relativity of time and the Big Bang model are derived from the same mathematical model it is not possible for them to be in contradiction.

!

Moderator Note

You already asked this in another thread. The answer has not changed. Do not re-introduce discussion from your locked thread.

https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/114537-an-observers-local-clock-and-ruler-determine-the-observation-of-curved-and-expanded-spaces-somewhere-else/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-1050249