Windows light...

Externet

As far as I can tell, it is not a Microsoft product. It is a "hacked" version of Windows 7 with various things removed. 

Risks:

• It is not supported
  • There will be no updates (including bug fixes and security patches)
  • You will be vulnerable to malware.
  • The non-standard changes might case it to be unstable
  • You are downloading from a website distributing illegal software
  • You can't be sure it isn't infected (deliberately or accidentally) with malware

But apart from that ...

6 minutes ago, Strange said:

As far as I can tell, it is not a Microsoft product. It is a "hacked" version of Windows 7 with various things removed. 

Risks:

• It is not supported
  • There will be no updates (including bug fixes and security patches)
  • You will be vulnerable to malware.
  • The non-standard changes might case it to be unstable
  • You are downloading from a website distributing illegal software
  • You can't be sure it isn't infected (deliberately or accidentally) with malware

But apart from that ...

Yes it was a Microsoft product, intended for netbooks whcih were popular before smartphones.

It came, for instance, with the Acer Aspire one and used to be advertised as Windows 7.

However Microsoft made Windows 10 such that it was impossible to upgrade these to W10.
(Probably because of the smaller hard drive and memory sizes in those days and also the popular processor for netbooks)

But they still offered the W10 upgrade through the free offer scheme.

This crashed the Aspire one so that it could neither be restored to W7, nor upgraded to W10.
The net was full of complaints at the time.

6 minutes ago, studiot said:

Yes it was a Microsoft product, intended for netbooks whcih were popular before smartphones.

Do you have a reference for that? The only reference to "Windows 7 Lite" I could find on the Microsoft site was a discussion about it not being a Microsoft product.

There were the "Starter Edition" and "Home Premium" versions of W7, which were supposedly more suitable for netbooks.

Even if it was, at one time, an official product, all the caveats in my post still apply.