Jump to content
8link48

Why is war morally wrong?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Indeed

Was Hitler worse than Stalin?

We know what happens when we declare war on the bully and we know what happens when we don't, which one worked?

 

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

We declare war on one bully and create another

While you make many good points, any war against injustices and abuse of human rights should always be the last resort.

On your second statement, while probably true, there are I believe degrees of bullying, from intolerable,  to bearable though  less then desirable. 

All political systems in my opinion have good and bad points. Personally I base my opinions solely on what I believe to be morally wrong or unacceptable, irrespective of accepted political dogma of the time, which in my case has on at least one occasion cost me dearly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, beecee said:

All political systems in my opinion have good and bad points. Personally I base my opinions solely on what I believe to be morally wrong or unacceptable, irrespective of accepted political dogma of the time, which in my case has on at least one occasion cost me dearly.

Just in case anyone misconstrues that, what it was "that cost me dearly" it had nothing to do with this forum. It happened while I was a Union Delegate and after a 5 week strike in the early seventies, that achieved 4 weeks annual leave, and a 35 hr week, along with a $15/weekly increase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, beecee said:

While you make many good points, any war against injustices and abuse of human rights should always be the last resort.

Indeed but which line in the sand is the last resort, how do we know when were past the event horizon?  

Was the Cuban missile crisis the line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Was the Cuban missile crisis the line?

The Cuban Missile crisis was at the height of the cold war. I'm just happy that at least one side did back down before anything beyond the general penis waving started.

Did the USA have the right to prevent ICBM capable of carrying nuclear bombs on their door step? Was the USSR acting provocatively in attempting to arm Cuba? Were the USA in their rights commencing the naval blockade? Does the current nations with nuclear weapons have the right to prevent other nations from developing them? Is it immoral to keep on developing nuclear weapons? Should a nation's general "anti Western" stance, or pro Muslim stance be considered when nuclear weapon availability is spoken about? Should we consider the general apparent "despot/dictatorial" attitude of any nations leaders, when such confrontations are on the plate? Should Trump going on his actions/talk so far be considered a despot/dictator?

I just hope things all pan out peacefully for my continued retirement and the benefit of my kids and their kids etc.

Edited by beecee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, beecee said:

the cold war.

The best kind.

13 hours ago, beecee said:

Did the USA have the right to prevent ICBM capable of carrying nuclear bombs on their door step? Was the USSR acting provocatively in attempting to arm Cuba? Were the USA in their rights commencing the naval blockade? Does the current nations with nuclear weapons have the right to prevent other nations from developing them? Is it immoral to keep on developing nuclear weapons?

2

Why are nuclear weapons legal but chemical ones arent?

Survival of the richest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is war morally wrong?

because it helps us convince our people to go to war. 

if war is morally wrong and everyone agrees that that. Then the person who attacks first is perceived as bad. Thus making it easy to morally justify the war. If you manipulate the enemy into attacking you or your allies. Then even the peaceful person on your side will demand war. 

The Romans used to do it all the time. 

Its a lot harder sell to tell people we want a war so some high mucky muck can get rich. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.