Dak

Arrogant you have grown, my Padawan. Clear it is to those with brains that form shackles grammatical cowardice does. Read my biography had you, have grokked the difference between sagaciousness and stodginess might you. By such menial oversights, in true understanding you are diminished.

Much like the Force, this perception of lexicon is. The Force to dominate, to enslave, is your way. Crush it you do, the light from it you consume. Tainted the Force will become, sickly and malformed. Do this a true Jedi does not. The Force embrace you should. Flow free must the Force, silly rules unbound by. In reciprocation, yourself the Force you should give. True power, such is.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather thought the usage of "grokked" and "stodginess" were a bit unusual, and I presumed that you used the dictionary for those. But sagaciousness? Ah well. Intriguing your comment is. Speak like this you must not. For understand you no one can, and to be understood the purpose of talking is.

he's inconsistant tho. sometimes its object verb subject (yoda am I, ooh-hoo-ho-ho-hee), other times its subject object verb (strange the ways of the forse are), others its verb object subject (judge me by my size, do you?), others still its the english subject verb object (you seek yoda).

and yet everything he says fits neatly into a pattern that sounds completely yoda (with the exception of plot developing sentences, the importance of which forces yoda to put it into the standard english vernacular so the other characters/audience understand better).

please dont kill me AP, but some of yours just dont quite ring true.

Oh no, I completely agree with you Pygous, my interpretation isn't pure. For a few points in particular, I was strained to figure out how Yoda would've have put it, but couldn't quite get it. But Yoda's rules are far from well-defined, and more complicated sentences tend to fight Yoda-talk. But in many cases, especially in Extended Universe novels, the syntax insn't quite so clear. In such cases also, he's often forced to speak for greater lengths, and encounters grammatical situations absent in the movies. And yeah, often enough, they do make him speak regular English to simplify things, but that just feels like a cop-out to me.

Brain damage. Like dyslexia manifested in syntax-form.

Also, Star Wars characters usually have some unique quality that makes them memorable, probably done on purpose by the producers to add to the popularity of the film. Think about it; would Yoda be as much of a cultural icon if he was just a plain sagely Jedi, or a 2ft. green alien with verbal dyslexia?