Landfills and Copper Salts

Vet track

HI all,

I'm studying safety procedures with chemical substances as preparation for a lab, and my question is why copper salts can't end up in a landfill. I know they are highly toxic to living things and landfills have an effect on the environment around them, and that they are dangerous if untrained perssonnel are handling them, but is there more?

Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, studiot said:

Look at the water solubility of copper salts.

Can they be carried by groundwater?

Yes? they are soluble in water. So if they were in a landfill, or going down a drain, does this mean the water would carry them too far? 

3 minutes ago, Vet track said:

Yes? they are soluble in water. So if they were in a landfill, or going down a drain, does this mean the water would carry them too far? 

What would it do to decomposition organisms in landfill and what would be the effect of that on the landfill?

3 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

What would it do to decomposition organisms in landfill and what would be the effect of that on the landfill?

Oh! I hadn't thought of that, It would kill any organisms working to break down waste at a landfill which would halt that process, and result in faster accumulation of waste. Thanks for the help StringJunky and studiot. 

4 minutes ago, Vet track said:

Oh! I hadn't thought of that, It would kill any organisms working to break down waste at a landfill which would halt that process, and result in faster accumulation of waste. Thanks for the help StringJunky and studiot. 

Yes, the last thing you want in your landfill is antimicrobial agents.

1 minute ago, Vet track said:

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Copper increases the COD (Chemical Oxygen Demand), competing with aerobic organisms, thus favouring anaerobic ones.

But the efect is low unless the copper is at high level because copper is not a particularly high level contaminent in normal landfill.

landfill1.thumb.jpg.6c0a67d5438733dbed6706f6ef925dc0.jpg

6 minutes ago, studiot said:

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Copper increases the COD (Chemical Oxygen Demand), competing with aerobic organisms, thus favouring anaerobic ones.

But the efect is low unless the copper is at high level because copper is not a particularly high level contaminent in normal landfill.

landfill1.thumb.jpg.6c0a67d5438733dbed6706f6ef925dc0.jpg

Does it matter that the amount is in practice low, but rather the principle of what the authorities consider toxic, which they expect us to comply with?

Edited by StringJunky