Mysterious Force..

blike

I found an on a "mysterious force" slowing down Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11.

Both probes are traveling at 27,000 miles per hour, but scientists have noted that they are slowing by about 6 miles per hour per century.

You can find the article here

I wonder if they ever resolved the problem, seeing as the article was published in february. Perhaps they found out why.

A SPACE probe launched 30 years ago has come under the influence of a force that has baffled scientists and could rewrite the laws of physics.

Researchers say Pioneer 10, which took the first close-up pictures of Jupiter before leaving our solar system in 1983, is being pulled back to the sun by an unknown force. The effect shows no sign of getting weaker as the spacecraft travels deeper into space, and scientists are considering the possibility that the probe has revealed a new force of nature.

Dr Philip Laing, a member of the research team tracking the craft, said: "We have examined every mechanism and theory we can think of and so far nothing works.

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by blike

We still have much to learn about our Universe. I quote Gandalf the Grey(at that time):You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!

Yes, if anything comes to mind when I read this article, it's dark matter.

It seems to me that this "dark matter" is being streched and somehow the mass knows it's original projected path.

When you look back at the roswell reports. The metal which was found resembled "tin foil", but once you cruch it in your hand and let go; it would unravel back into it's original state in seconds.

That makes me think we do not have a certain metal (element) that can interact with the "Dark matter".

Imagen entering the dark matter of the universe. A BIG INTERUNIVERSAL TRAVEL HUB?????

Originally posted by PogoC7

Yes, if anything comes to mind when I read this article, it's dark matter.

It seems to me that this "dark matter" is being streched and somehow the mass knows it's original projected path.

When you look back at the roswell reports. The metal which was found resembled "tin foil", but once you cruch it in your hand and let go; it would unravel back into it's original state in seconds.

Trés Bizzare(really weird)

Um... I don't know if I'm simplifying the issue... but it seems to me that you are describing the effects of gravity. hahaha I mean, the sattellite is orbitting the sun no matter what course it is taking. Unless it has a velocity greater than or equal to the escape velocity of the sun, it will eventually follow a parabolic curve and return periodically similar to comets' orbits. The sattellite is losing velocity because it is being accelerated toward the center of mass of our solar system (which is just below the surface of the sun). And some can claim the distance is too great for any significant gravitational interaction, but the distance is exponentially greater to any other gravitational force in other solar systems or stars. Any Physicist will tell you that although gravity is weak on the microscale, it rules in space because no other forces are significant. I believe that this article you read could have been an error or a hoax even.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by the GardenGnome
Originally posted by PogoC7

When you look back at the roswell reports.

I thought they said the roswell incident was a hoax...

As for the mysterious force, maybe it was dark matter; or maybe an alien being shoved it back to delay an interception...:confused:

y pioneer slowing down

Originally posted by blike

Both probes are traveling at 27,000 miles per hour, but scientists have noted that they are slowing by about 6 miles per hour per century.

You can find the article here

I wonder if they ever resolved the problem, seeing as the article was published in february. Perhaps they found out why.

imagen u are in the center of earth.then u will fly just like cosmonaut because these isnt any gravity(u are surounded by earth and summar gravity is zero).when u moving to the surface more and more gravity groving up because more and more mass left beneat u.its the same when u try to leave our galaxy.when u are near the center u feel only gravity of eart and our sun but when u are about to leave galaxy all stars planets and black holes in it will push u back.thats why pioneer slowing down.thats called 4th cosmic speed.first is to leave the earth(11.2 km per sec.).second is to leave sollar system(i am not shore what was it but if check my books ill found it)3rd is to leave the system of stars that belong our sun,and 4th is to leave galaxy.the speed u shold have is bigger each next step and i just wonder what it should be if u are about to leave all stars and galaxys maded by our BIG BANG(there isnt any reason to be shure that our big bang is the only one in the space)

Originally posted by baigligan

the speed u shold have is bigger each next step and i just wonder what it should be if u are about to leave all stars and galaxys maded by our BIG BANG(there isnt any reason to be shure that our big bang is the only one in the space)

space only came about in the big bang, it's not like we are just stuff flying out into an infinitely large vacuum. from some point. If the big bang didn't occur everywhere, then we wouldn't have the cosmic microwave background.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jacob

Im not that good at physics yet buuut maybe its somethign to do with + and - charges as the probe passes through more and more matter the more electromagnetic(static?) charge it gets? could this cause it to be attracted to the suns poles? not sure about the distance were talking about...but a suggestion...prolly wrong:-p