Good documentaries on Earth science topics?

Hypsibius

On the BBC the following series are well worth viewing. They will be periodically available on BBC i-player, but there should also be DVDs for purchase.

Men of Rock - 3 part series " Geologist Iain Stewart retraces the steps of a band of maverick pioneers who made ground-breaking discoveries in the landscape of Scotland about how our planet works."

Rise of the Continents - 4 part series " Professor Iain Stewart reveals how our iconic continents were created, and how their tumultuous past has shaped our life today. "

and somewhat older, though I recall it as being good.

Earth Story - 8 parts - a 1998 documentary presented by Aubrey Manning. May be available on i-tunes.

Edit: I'm nost sure what you meant by High Quality. This item on "How Britain Became an Island" is high quality in terms of the research technique and what it revealed, but is low quality in terms of production values. I found it fascinating.

Edited by Area54

16 hours ago, Hypsibius said:

Thanks Area54 and studiot! That's exactly the kind of documentaries I had in mind! I'm a bit fan of BBC nature documentaries. 

You are most welcome. While looking for the details I did notice a host of items on YouTube. I have no idea of their quality, but  a minute or two of viewing should give you a good measure. Here are a handful that caught my eye:

The Ordovician Age

A contrasting pair: Fireball Earth - The Permian Extinction and Snowball Earth - The Permian Extinction

Colliding Continents

31 minutes ago, Area54 said:

You are most welcome. While looking for the details I did notice a host of items on YouTube. I have no idea of their quality, but  a minute or two of viewing should give you a good measure. Here are a handful that caught my eye:

The Ordovician Age

A contrasting pair: Fireball Earth - The Permian Extinction and Snowball Earth - The Permian Extinction

Colliding Continents

Awesome! Thanks!

On 3/20/2018 at 3:08 AM, Hypsibius said:

Hi, can anyone recommend some high quality documentaries on earth science topics? (geology, meteorology, anything related to earth sciences goes...) Possibly that can be found in DVD? 

Thanks in advance.

Here's another.....[more

specifically on climate change though..

https://chasingice.com/

I've tried, honestly I have, not to post this, but my resistance is weak. Every time I see beecee's Chasing Ice post I hear a voice-over artist, in the resonant tones of one promoting the latest blockbuster movie:            And now, the flim they said couldn't be made, the canvas to vast even for the silver screen, the inspiring story of one man's dedicated quest, against all the odds, to find the perfect Scotch on the rocks, we bring you, "Chasing Ice".