Stephen Hawking Passed Away 3/14/2018

Daedalus

15 minutes ago, sophiewilson0191 said:

He left a Black hole in peoples heart.

A rather unfortunate and presumably unintentional choice of expression .

Black hearts  are normally considered ugly  characteristics . Doesn't seem to describe Hawking's character at all:mellow:

On 3/14/2018 at 3:54 AM, beecee said:

A giant amongst men: Given 2 years to live at the age of 21 years, he instead reached out into the Universe, with his knowledge, humour and example. I'm drinking a can of Fosters to  his memory.

Wow he beat his doctors to the tune of 55 years! Much respect for a fallen giant. I read quite a few of his books and enjoyed the small parts I could understand. 

On 3/16/2018 at 6:44 AM, iNow said:

Making more of the general public interested in and educated about physics and cosmology.

Yes! Depite having published 100's of scholarly articles and was still publishing last summer. Despite having a major role in furthering our understanding of black holes, inflation and the orgins of our universe.  Despite having continually coming up with new and clever ways to communicate to the outside world. 

I agree his biggest accomplishment was bridging the gap between physics and laypersons.

Carl Sagan laid down the banner Stephen Hawking picked it up. Who will step up now?

9 hours ago, iNow said:

I’m thinking Jenny McCarthy is ideally suited to take the reins

Haha just to anger the gods (SwansonT) I will say Brian Cox. 

But on serious note, Freeman Dyson should make more appearances. I'm a fan. His whole family is made up of geniuses. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.