How “Throwing stone” stored in genes?

Burak Ozdelice

Hi,

Imagine that an animal specie saw it kill its enemy after it took a stone from the ground and threw it. And other animals saw that remarkable event. They did start to use same tool after that from generations to generations for centuries.

my question is can a behavior be stored in genes? Can a behavior be inherited genetically? 

I know that when a living creature saw a danger it runs. When we see a danger our body immediatly prepare for that (eyes, muscles, adrenaline etc)

how is a behaviour like a "throwing a stone" stored as genetically? what is necessary?

thank you.

56 minutes ago, Burak Ozdelice said:

Imagine that an animal specie saw it kill its enemy after it took a stone from the ground and threw it. And other animals saw that remarkable event. They did start to use same tool after that from generations to generations for centuries.

That is learning (or culture), not genetics. 

Of course, genetics provides the ability to throw and to learn from others.

my question is can a behavior be stored in genes? Can a behavior be inherited genetically?

Some can. For example, spiders ability to make a web is purely genetic. They don't have to be taught. And they can't not make webs; it is a completely automatic process.

how is a behaviour like a "throwing a stone" stored as genetically? what is necessary?

Arms and hands to throw. Eyes to see. A brain with the ability to process visual inputs and control the throw accurately, and then learn that this is a useful thing to do. So it is stored in many (most? all?) genes. There isn't a single gene for throwing stones, any more than there is a gene for saying the word "stone". It arises from a combination of other abilities.

Edited by Strange

38 minutes ago, Strange said:

...There isn't a single gene for throwing stones, any more than there is a gene for saying the word "stone". It arises from a combination of other abilities.

Yes, there is. Put a kid that can just walk and never seen a pond or lake by the waterside and I'll guarantee the first thing they do is pick a stone up and chuck it in. On that gene is written 'stone->water'. :D 

43 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Yes, there is. Put a kid that can just walk and never seen a pond or lake by the waterside and I'll guarantee the first thing they do is pick a stone up and chuck it in. On that gene is written 'stone->water'. :D 

That is an under-developed version of the gene that makes people throw coins into fountains, I guess.

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

That is an under-developed version of the gene that makes people throw coins into fountains, I guess.

It's interesting how certain actions are embedded that are peculiar to species. Mine was a light-hearted one but many new-born animals will stand up and walk within minutes and dogs will make a circle before lying down...

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

You nailed that one dude!