Infinity vs Finite or the perception of Space - Time - Energy - Matter - Information

1x0

6 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

Can you please give an example of an infinity that has an end from a temporal perspective?

Not really. But imagine something that has existed for an infinite time and then disappears. (No, I can't imagine such a thing, either.)

8 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

So I am asking about a non mathematical example.

If the universe is infinite in size, then it is a non-mathematical example of something infinite.

If the universe has always existed, then it is an example of something eternal (infinite in time).

If the universe was created (there is no evidence for this) and it will last forever, then it is still evidence of something eternal (infinite in time).

See The Tristram Shandy paradox

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Not really. But imagine something that has existed for an infinite time and then disappears. (No, I can't imagine such a thing, either.)

There seems to be much debate on the notion that time is infinite in the past. So I guess I will not go further with this. :P Thank you Strange

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_finitism

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

Very good. I hadn't seen that before.

The idea of an infinite past is really interesting but it's mainly being approached from a philosophical side with no real evidence to really back up either side.

If you check the wiki link on Temporal finitism, they disprove the idea of past infinity using a set of logical arguments. That has 0 scientific value and doesn't say much.

If the universe did not have a beginning, then the past would consist in an infinite temporal sequence of events.

An infinite temporal sequence of past events would be actually and not merely potentially infinite.

It is impossible for a sequence formed by successive addition to be actually infinite.

The temporal sequence of past events was formed by successive addition.

Therefore, the universe had a beginning.

Let's postpone this discussion another 10-20-n years haha waiting for some scientific advancements that might shed some physics light on this question ^_^

Apologies for the off-topic spin OP.

1 hour ago, Silvestru said:

If you check the wiki link on Temporal finitism, they disprove the idea of past infinity using a set of logical arguments

Another interesting thing I hadn't heard of before! 

But most of the arguments seem fundamentally flawed (perhaps because they come from philosophers who don't really understand the relevant maths or physics).

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Another interesting thing I hadn't heard of before! 

But most of the arguments seem fundamentally flawed (perhaps because they come from philosophers who don't really understand the relevant maths or physics).

That's why I was hesitant to quote any arguments in the physics section of the forum.  :( 

However I also don't really understand the relevant maths or physics of it so I can't judge.