Electromagnetic waves quantum tunneling

Moreno

Can electromagnetic waves experience tunneling effect? It is claimed that photons (light) - can. What about radio waves? If yes, what would be exactly the physical details of the process, such as maximal distance this effect can take place, from which point to which point they will tunnel, what is needed to create this effect, etc.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, swansont said:

We already know that, ignoring absorption, a barrier will reflect some part of EM waves and pass the rest. This is standard E&M. 

Is it possible make it somehow that two remote moderate size antennas send information to each other by means of quantum tunneling only, without scattering and absorption anywhere?

Tunneling is a small-scale effect. It drops with the separation; for massive particles I think it's exponential.

But I'm not even sure you'd talk about tunneling with respect to photons. You have reflection and transmission. I can't think of any cases where there's a classical potential barrier to overcome that would lead you to think that there would be no transmission.

44 minutes ago, swansont said:

Tunneling is a small-scale effect. It drops with the separation; for massive particles I think it's exponential.

But I'm not even sure you'd talk about tunneling with respect to photons. You have reflection and transmission. I can't think of any cases where there's a classical potential barrier to overcome that would lead you to think that there would be no transmission.

For massive particles typically yes, but radio waves do not consist of massive particles. Therefore I want to know what is the distance through which can they tunnel. 

Edited by Moreno

39 minutes ago, Moreno said:

For massive particles typically yes, but radio waves do not consist of massive particles. Therefore I want to know what is the distance through which can they tunnel. 

Again: tunneling is not a concept I associate with photons. We typically call this transmission. The problem lies in the fact that in any material there will be attenuation. For thin, nominally transparent materials we usually ignore this and look at the reflection vs transmission. But there is no tunneling. If that's a thing, it would be in some extreme, isolated, unusual case. It would be the exception, rather than the rule. If it happens.