The new Intelligent Design....

Mokele

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Natural evolution up to a human is just as far fetched as saying that a god created man in 7 days (or whatever).

4 billion years may be too little for evolution to naturally evolve up to us. But if evolved in steps, on other planets, then maybe its total time is 10 billion years. Then again the age of the universe may be largely greater than 20 billion years (I always had a feeling that this age is too short), or maybe there are infinite universes and the age is eternity.

Also it is possible to have the sum greater than the parts. There is a pseudoscientific theory that claims that our technology is evolving at an ever increasing rate towards a "singularity" upon which computers will surpass human intelligence. After that, the computers would "design" other smarter computers and we as humans would no longer even know what happens.

Now if some process, in different terms and with different structures occured on other planets with alien structures "designing" structures that "surpass" there own (just as humans may end up designing computers smarter than us) , then you can see how evolution may be quite feasable through this.

Natural evolution up to a human is just as far fetched as saying that a god created man in 7 days (or whatever).

You know what? I was going to take the time to reply to this, but this nonsense is simply not worth my time. I would advise other members to not post serious replys too. Only way you're gonna learn.....

I thought creationists were narrow minded! I am saying that evolution as we know it may be even mostly correct, but the degree of complexity humans have reached seems way too much for the standard mechanism. I am trying to imagine a case where we could have been designed by other beings even much more "stupid" than us, just as we design computers; consider a case where the speed of calculations was the measure of "intelligence". Well we are alot slower than a computer, but were able to design one that is alot faster than us. Just like the "technological " singularity theory suggest that we may be "surpassed" by our own creation, so some alien civilization may have designed us. This is the point I am trying to make.

You directly link Christianity with ID and then ridicule it.

ID *is* linked with christianity. I was ridiculing the Christian version of ID, not Christianity as a whole.

Wrong, and I fail to see any reason why evolution could *not* produce a human. We're certainly pretty low on the scale of "amazing crap produced by evolution". Yeah, we're smart, whoop-de-doo, but there are things out there that are far more unsual products of evolution.

but the degree of complexity humans have reached seems way too much for the standard mechanism.

No, it's quite within the reach of evolution to produce the measly complexity of humans. Seriously look at invertebrates if you want *real* complexity. Or snake muscle dynamics. We're actually pretty simple compared to some species.

I'll address your main point in the other thread you made.

Mokele

• 3 weeks later...
Guest futzman

As a devote Flying Spaghetti Monsterist I find the joking and puns highly offensive. I will go on a fast (except for pasta and beer, which are allowed during a Pastafarian fast) and appeal to FSM for mercy on you all! :eek:

As a devote Flying Spaghetti Monsterist I find the joking and puns highly offensive. I will go on a fast (except for pasta and beer, which are allowed during a Pastafarian fast) and appeal to FSM for mercy on you all! :eek:
Joking? Puns!? Please cite your sauces. As for the FSM, the quality of His mercy is not strained, but his noodles are. His followers shall not be diluted.

ID *is* linked with christianity. I was ridiculing the Christian version of ID' date=' not Christianity as a whole.

Wrong, and I fail to see any reason why evolution could *not* produce a human. We're certainly pretty low on the scale of "amazing crap produced by evolution". Yeah, we're smart, whoop-de-doo, but there are things out there that are far more unsual products of evolution.

No, it's quite within the reach of evolution to produce the measly complexity of humans. Seriously look at invertebrates if you want *real* complexity. Or snake muscle dynamics. We're actually pretty simple compared to some species.

I'll address your main point in the other thread you made.

Mokele[/quote']

I think he was referring to the complexity of our brains and tconsciousness in general, that no other species on the planet seems to be able to match (if they could we'd definately know by now).

Well if their was a species that had a brain as evolved and as complex as ours they would realize that it's better to stick together and form small packs or colonies, they would also realize that the greatest threat to their survival was us and we would have come into conflict with them. Seriously, what part of the world have we not left our mark on, for better or worse? We have polluted the seas, destroyed the forests and jungles and farmed out the grasslands (which a lot of that we have to do to support our lifestyles so i'm saying we shouldn't farm or anything like that). and we would have stumbled on bones or some kind of proof of them already. It's the same reason big foot does not exist, if they existed their would have to be a rather large population in North America somewhere, but seeing as we have not come across any bones or remains of them, or any other kind of proof then it is safe to conclude that were are the most advanced species on the planet(unless some super advanced race is hiding from us, but i really doubt that).

and intelligence on our level has not been demostrated by another species, if it was we'd have fish debating you all on this forum, but we don't because they can't. their brains aren't complex enough to grasp the subject, and even if a lot humans don't understand physics they can be taught too, to my knowledge their is no other species that can be taught something that complex. Even the most complex species next to humans can't grasp what our minds can, which proves that humans are the most complex, we can explain invertabraes and why they are the way they are, but no scientist can explain the brain in its entirety(meanng how it functions and why it does things it does).

Forgive me Blessed Farfalle, for in my love of soups I have demeaned my life and denied your glory, whilst wallowing in the tepid broth of heathens! From this day forth, I pledge the my eternal spirit to the sacred union of the Trenette. Celibacy, here I come!! Or rather, never come again.... geeze, being devout is gonna be hard...

well, if you remember you asked me how did i know that humans are the most complex beings on the planet, and i gave you my answer, our brains, their is nothing as complex and as advanced in nature as the human brain. that's where everything else came from.

I think he was referring to the complexity of our brains and tconsciousness in general, that no other species on the planet seems to be able to match (if they could we'd definately know by now).

So we have big brains and special abilities through that. Whoop-de-doo. How is that any more special than the abilitiy of birds to fly? It's not, and only human arrogance makes us think it is. Our consciousness only presents an evolutionary puzzle because we cannot define it or understand the mechanisms. Once those are solved, the question of how it evolved will the rapidly solved, I suspect.

Well if their was a species that had a brain as evolved and as complex as ours they would realize that it's better to stick together and form small packs or colonies,

Why? That smacks of human assumption that anything smart would be like us and our way is the best. We're social because we evolved from social primates. A species just as intelligent as us that evolved from leopards would *never* be social. This is because being social is not "better", it's just a different strategy for dealing with life, one we happen to employ.

Mokele