Posca Attempts

Endy0816

Trying my hand at making Posca a drink primarily consisting of vinegar and water, reportedly favored by Roman soldiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posca

For the first run I went with a "Sweet Recipe", 2 cups simmering water with 4 spoonfuls of honey and 3 spoonfuls of vinegar.

Surprisingly good. Was hesitant after getting a whiff of the vinegar, but it has a good taste to it.

Other loose recipes variously suggest additions of salt, melon and/or ground coriander. Going to try whatever ones I reasonably can and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Roamer said:

Why would you make a non-alcoholic beverage ? :huh:

I grabbed a 4 pack of Buds once from a super market because they were on offer.  Took them to a pals house and get the crap ripped out of me for not reading the labels - they were alcohol free beers. lol. Why indeed!

Seriously though - not everyone is an alcoholic. ;-)   I don't drink much at all anymore...  not teetotal though.

I don't drink often but I drink like a sailor when I do :)

Mostly find the idea of a once popular drink lost to history fascinating.

Was also thinking to gain some of the health benefits of acetic acid consumption. There's the fermented milk and tea drinks that have it but come with some risk if making them at home.

With Posca you don't have that problem. Haven't gotten up the nerve to try the salt recipes yet, but have had the sweet recipe a few times now. Tastes better hot. Almost like a cider but oddly citrusy.

• 1 month later...