What the Bleep Do We Know

Guest Dak Giles

Guest Dak Giles

I watched a movie this weekend - "What the Bleep Do We Know" - a truly thought-provoking, intiguing movie relating quantum physics and other sciences to perceptions, perspectives, realities, and more.

My question is, "Have any of you experienced anything the people in this movie profess?"

I love this movie (in fact I own it). As far as experiencing anything they profess, I think we experience it every day. Especially with regards to the way we view ourselves and others. Negative people tend to attract negative things. If you are looking for the positive in life, you will find it.

I have long believed in parallel universes of possibility. As far as being capable of accessing them, I don't think we can ever know while we are in these bodies.

I think the movie is trying to tell us that the way we perceive our world is much more important than we think. Just as particles in wave state change when they are observed, so our observations can be changed by the way we perceive the objects made up of those particles.

I love this movie (in fact I own it). As far as experiencing anything they profess, I think we experience it every day. Especially with regards to the way we view ourselves and others. Negative people tend to attract negative things. If you are looking for the positive in life, you will find it.

This movie was not popular in sydney but i thought it was not bad. One of the people being interviewed said that optimists being positive and whatnot was not very effective. I think it said something along the lines of "A smear of positive covering the surface of a large ball of negative" (This qoute is just from memory keep in mind I saw this movie a while ago). So that got me wondering what is the best way to percieve the world around us if not positively?

Also I think that guy who was saying that he controlled the quantum world in such a way that it would show him and he would know it was his doing, ect, was a bit of a wank. The most interesting part of that movie was IMO the part about the freezing water and how our thoughts/emotions could effect it. Unfortunatly that guys website is not the greatest.

~Scott

The most interesting part of that movie was IMO the part about the freezing water and how our thoughts/emotions could effect it. Unfortunatly that guys website is not the greatest.
I would like to know if he's gotten anyone else to review his experiments to see if they could be repeated. It sounds like he's done some extensive work. I haven't seen his site yet.

Guest Dak Giles

I'm not sure what to make of the water crystal photos - I don't know enough about the physics of frozen water crystals, sensitivity to vibrations, etc. Not to be a cynic but the example of water being exposed to heavy metal music - what was the volume (loudness) of the music? Could sound vibrations affect the photos?

I would like to believe there is a truth behind the photos - I am by no means a cynic and I have a very "positive" outlook towards life.

I wondered about the music thing as well. What if you played a heavy metal song about gratitude and love (assuming there is such a thing)? What if you played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star but changed the words to "Boy I really hate your guts"? Is it the music or the sentiment behind the music?

I also would like to believe in the photos. The rest of the science in the movie seems to support the idea that our mental state affects our body in so many ways.

Tbh, the best thing about it is the fact that a "sciency" movie has been so popular and stayed in the theaters so long. For so many people to go out and see a movie that tries to explain quantum physics (even partially) at a mainstream multiplex theater is quite an accomplishment, imo.

I'll second DQW on this. I've not seen the movie (and I'm certainly no physicist), but I've heard some *really* scathing reviews of it (from Skeptical Inquirer and the like).

Mokele

It's only the first movie about quantum physics. It definitely won't be the last. At least someone was brave enough to attempt a basic explanation of it.

By the way, I own huge quantites of quantum physical devices... millions of them. They are transistors in my computer.

that movie was crap! it was just a combination of psuedoscience and new age religion. they threw around the words "quantum mechanics" every few seconds, but i think the only person on the show that had any idea about it was the kid on the basketball court.