When I enter SFN, I click on new posts then scan down for something of interest. Lets say there were 14 new posts today.

I may go into one or two, then leave SFN.

If I come back later, and click on new posts again, only 5 may show up in the list. It's happened more than once to me. How come? Why aren't the others still listed as new posts.

Bettina

When I enter SFN' date=' I click on new posts then scan down for something of interest. Lets say there were 14 new posts today.

I may go into one or two, then leave SFN.

If I come back later, and click on new posts again, only 5 may show up in the list. It's happened more than once to me. How come? Why aren't the others still listed as new posts.

Bettina[/quote']

I'm guessing the search consults a cookie and finds the time of your last visit, and gives you all the posts since then.

I'm guessing the search consults a cookie and finds the time of your last visit, and gives you all the posts since then.

Yep.....I found the "bettina@scienceforums.net" in my Index.dat file under "cookies"....I erased all I could find. I had to sign in again, but then when I clicked on "new posts" a bunch of them were there.

Is there a workaround? If I log on and look at just a few, most of the others don't appear anymore.

Is there away you can view all posts marked "today" ?

Sorry to be a pain....

Bettina

I have an issue with this too. The advanced search option does not allow you to search for all posts in the last 24 hours, unless you ask it for a specific word (and the word is not too common). I suspect it's something to do with reducing the server load, by reducing the number of large searches run on the database.

I remember awhile back, Coquina (Sandi) posted about her daughters illness. It went on for some time, then Sayonara came in with his respects and asked the question "How did I miss this" as if he was confused.

I wonder if it was the same problem I'm having. I see a lot of posts, look at one or two, then come back in a few hours later only to find that only half the posts are now showing up.

I want to know if its something with my computer or it is the way it is.....

I would have thought that if you don't go into a thread, it will remain in Bold, or stay as "new posts".

It's still happening to me....

Bettina

I give up.....

I have no determined, by destroying my "index.dat" file and all my cookies with ccleaner, that SFN is somehow keeping track....not my computer.

If I log out, then all of the "today" posts come up.......very nice. However if I log in, they all go away.

So......oh...nothing. I'll just keep logged out more often.

Bettina

This issue has frustrated me for some time. I frequently may be unable to visit the forum for several days at a time. I start with the oldest 'new' post, typicaly on page five or six. Before I have worked my way down to page four they have all disappeared.

An option to at least view all todays posts would be a partial soluition for sure.

that'd be groovy! i previously spent ages looking for a work-around along the lines of atm's idea, but it seems that you have all common words covered, so you cant, for example, search for all posts from today and yesterday which contain a full stop or the word 'post' etc.

just out of sheer curiosity, why are common words and empty search-fields disallowed? is it to stop search-spamming/search-flooding?

[edit]

hang on, i was playing about with google, along the lines of "today|yesterday inurl:showthread site:www.scienceforums.net", and i found this result

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:ku7ysEdRapUJ:www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php%3Fgoto%3Dlastpost%26t%3D11922+today%7Cyesterday+inurl:showthread+site:www.scienceforums.net&hl=en&client=firefox-a

whats up with that? it has a 'todays post' link up the top, which seems to work?

[/edit]

This issue has frustrated me for some time. I frequently may be unable to visit the forum for several days at a time. I start with the oldest 'new' post' date=' typicaly on page five or six. Before I have worked my way down to page four they have all disappeared.

An option to at least view all todays posts would be a partial soluition for sure[/quote'].

a work around for that, untill dave slaps the forum and tells it to stop being silly, is to open each page in a new tab (if your using FF) when you visit, and then leave them all up and open the threads into new tabs aswell.

Okay, I've implemented the new thing. New Posts has been replaced with Active Topics; you can see the posts from a variety of time intervals. Suggestions for new intervals/changing those ones are appreciated :)

• 4 months later...

Ka-bump!

its not working, at least for me, since the upgrade.

clicking on new posts > daily sends me to the url

blah/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&type=hms&days=1

which brings up a message that says "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

If i clip out the '&type=hms" bit, then it works and actually gives me the new posts from the past 24 hours; ie

blah/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&days=1

not sure what that means, but there you have it.

Ka-bump!

its not working' date=' at least for me, since the upgrade.

clicking on new posts > daily sends me to the url

blah/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&type=hms&days=1

which brings up a message that says "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

If i clip out the '&type=hms" bit, then it works and actually gives me the new posts from the past 24 hours; ie

blah/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&days=1

not sure what that means, but there you have it.

Working for me, on a Mac with Safari.