The sacrifice of the soldiers, the second world war and the other wars

nyabingi

Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces. Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries. In the second great war, american soldiers sacrificed themselves, even America occupies a deserved position in the world. In other wars, like the Vietnam, they died in vain.
[url=https://imgbb.com/]Vietnam_War.jpg[/url]

In Australia, along with New Zealand, we commemorate our war dead on the 25th April every year, and which we call ANZAC DAY, Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. Some see it as a glorification of war. I believe they are wrong. I was born towards the end of WW2 and missed the lottery for conscription for the Vietnam war by 12 months. I have never experienced any war or war like actions in my whole life, luckily. I do not really know how I would react with bullets flying over my head, or under a bombardment...I hope I would do what my country expects and asks. So I truly respect all those that have lost their lives in war, on all sides, and believe each nation has a right to respect and honour their war dead, and that each and every nation can learn from the many terrible consequences of any war and the price that any nation irrespective of who is right or who is wrong, must pay. The first thing a nation should learn from commemorating its war dead, is to do all in its power to avoid any more war. I truly believe science can help in that regard, and that a world wide International effort to put man on Mars, and achieve and benefit from all space exploration has to offer is one way more International co-operation could be achievable.

In the United Kingdom Remembrance Sunday is the Sunday closest to November 11th. On November 11th itself a minute's silence is held across the nation at 11.00am. The eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month. The time at which the Armistice ending World War I was signed.

I recall at the age of seven or eight, in a church service on Remembrance Sunday, the minister remarked that I and my fellows were too young to understand the importance of the sacrifice made by our war dead. He was mistaken. I understood it with a clarity that was both awe inspiring and comforting. I wondered if I would ever again recapture that clarity. It came, quite unexpectedly, when gazing at a plaque commemorating some of the fallen, inside the White Tower, in the Tower of London, some thirty years later. I'm hoping I may capture it again before I go.