Are we "addicted" to life?

tar

5 minutes ago, tar said:

But your worrying about the demise of the universe, I think, is something that is also built in to our brain chemistry. 

My point was that your ephiphany celebrating the "victory" of life over entropy is misplaced since life is hastening the demise of the universe.

50 minutes ago, Area54 said:

My point was that your ephiphany celebrating the "victory" of life over entropy is misplaced 

Indeed, life will always die entropy can't, where's the victory?

52 minutes ago, Area54 said:

since life is hastening the demise of the universe.

Did you mean life? Because I rather think you meant entropy unless by universe you really mean Earth.

12 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Did you mean life? Because I rather think you meant entropy unless by universe you really mean Earth.

I meant life. The biochemical processes we call life increase entropy more effectively than non-biochemical processes (with the same broad suite of base chemicals). Consequently life shortens the time until the end.

27 minutes ago, Area54 said:

I meant life. The biochemical processes we call life increase entropy more effectively than non-biochemical processes (with the same broad suite of base chemicals). Consequently life shortens the time until the end.

But not the end of the universe, given the scarcity of life. 

Area54,

Well of course you are right, but your being right only is useful for your own dopamine to flow, it does not mean anything useful to our survival as individuals, or as a group or even as a planet.   But it shows that we, meaning you, can put ourselves in the shoes of somebody that would be pleased if the time 'till the end was lengthened.  Such a person is not currently available, so who is it, that would care if the universe lasted 600 billion years, or 600 billion years and a day.

It comes down instead for your need to be right, for dopamine to flow, for you, for you to feel alive and OK and in control and "right".   This is perfectly understandable, perfectly allowed and something I have in common with you, this need.  But the point here, is not that the universe will end a day earlier because of life on Earth, the point is that there IS life on Earth, and that is a good thing, now.

Regards, TAR

Edited by tar