Utilizing Gravity for Space Travel

kenel

Fafalone and I had a discussion about the uses of gravity, and how gravitational matrices have been discovered that link planets together could be used to save fuel when exploring space. How long do you all believe it will be until we've learned how to travel with gravity, thus making inter-galactic travel possible? Do you think this is even possible?

gravitational matrices? even a search on google didn't help.... ^_^

well satellites regularly use the gravity of various planets to slingsho them into new orbits, and then say when we fire rockets at the moon, we don't aim at it, but at the patch of space where the earth and moon's gravity nullify one another, and then just fall the rest of the way.

when interstellar (dunno about intergalactic... that might take a while) travel is realised, these things will have to be taken into account.

I just noticed that article on the gravitational highways. it just looks to me like they have developed a method of figuring out all the paths of low energy change to get between places, nothing really more complicated than that (similar to that method of getting to the moon). I will ask some people in the department next week if you like, unless someone beats me to it and provides a more comprehensive answer.

I would expect that these paths are rather slow though, nothing gets you places quicker than a straight line - though you might have to expend rather alot of energy and tread on the neighbour's lawn while doing so.

I know the paths won't be shorter, if anything they will be alot longer, though I haven't seen the proper research, so I couldn't comment on the amount of gravity acting on you and so on. whatever I think it will just be a method of getting from a to b using the gravity of all the planets and so on, rather than making the effort yourself...

and yes, I know if you warp space time the straight line isn't always the shortest route, though I try to stay away from objects with large masses like that since they're often rather hot or dangerous, and I don't want to wreck the paintwork on my spaceship.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by kenel

Fafalone and I had a discussion about the uses of gravity, and how gravitational matrices have been discovered that link planets together could be used to save fuel when exploring space. How long do you all believe it will be until we've learned how to travel with gravity, thus making inter-galactic travel possible? Do you think this is even possible?

i think its possible.like one autor of fantastic stories said- "the nature can put a limited obstàcles on our way to the knowledge after that nothing can stop us"there was program at "discovery channel" for space travel and there was different theories.one of them was "worm tunnels" other was to make incredible magnetic fiel at the nose of space ship.that will allow us to use "the BLAST OF SPACE"whatever this mean.unfortunately we should use source of energy that is equal the energy created by our sun each second.we will be dead when that happen but if we dont trust that its possible we already are a half loosers.so if other inventors wasnt optimists we should be still in age of stone.

SORRY if i made grammar mistakes.i hope u got the idea

• 5 years later...

um, since Ning Li and others can slightly shield mass from the earth's gravity with superconductive magnets... wouldn't building a cube with superconductive magnets in space allow a no mass situation causing the cube ( and cargo or whatever ) to sit still while the universe buzzes by while expanding. ( much like trying to throw a feather = no mass, no inertia ) or maybe only shielding 5 sides of the cube for directional travel. just an idea after 3 red bulls...

um, since Ning Li and others can slightly shield mass from the earth's gravity with superconductive magnets..

that's a decent post for someone who claims to be mildly intoxicated (3 Red Bulls)

but you have to do better.

There is a saying that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Before you have us assume that gravity can be shielded, you need to provide links to peer-review scientific publication. some legitimate study that shows persuasive evidence that gravity can be shielded.

It is not consistent with General Relativity, which is currently the best model of gravity we have. So if somebody could actually demonstrate gravity shielding it would cause a huge revolution in physics. GR would have to be replaced by a different theory. Hundreds of theorists would be working like crazy on it. Pandemonium would break loose in the experimental world. We havent seen this so most likely it hasnt happened. Just some guy thinks he has shown some effect, but he hasn't.

that is my guess. But see what links you can come up with.

martin,

Oppsy, Eugene Podkletnov is the guy i was thinking about. Much like the hutchison effect ( probably spelled his name wrong.) none of his work was ever reproduced as claimed. it all seemed so easy with the red bulls in me. now it comes crashing down. solly.

Martin correct me if I mistake but, you can not use gravity sligshot to go outside the solar system.

Either way, Jacques, I think you are indeed mistaken. That's EXACTLY what we did with Voyager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

As of July 6, 2007, Voyager 1 is over 15.44 terameters (15.44×10
meters, or 15.44×10
km, 103.2 AU, or 9.6 billion miles) from the Sun, and is in the boundary zone between the solar system and interstellar space. It gained the energy to escape the sun's gravity completely by performing slingshot maneuvers around Jupiter and Saturn.

Here's a nice article on the topic:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/gravity-assist-primer.cfm

Martin correct me if I mistake but, you can not use gravity sligshot to go outside the solar system.

Sure you could if your spacecraft could slingshot around the sun fast enough to acheive escape velocity. Or slingshot fast enough off a massive outer planet like Jupiter.

I don't know about Voyager's escape route out of our solar system but it's out of it now.

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

Oops, I didn't see iNow's post but I definately agree with him!