The State of a Black hole

King108

What is the state of Black hole? Is it solid or any other 5th state?

A BH is the result of any mass being squeezed up to and beyond its Schwarzchild limit.

From that point, GR tells us that further collapse is compulsory, at least up to and including the Singularity at the quantum/Planck level where GR fails us.

The way I understand it, the singularity need not be an infinite state of density and spacetime curvature, but it may lead to such infinite quantities.

Most cosmologists though from my understanding do not believe the singularity of infinite quantities exists.

In effect any BH is simply critically curved spacetime from the EH and up to the singularity according to GR although the exact state of that critically curved spacetime is unobserved..

Edited by beecee

What is the state of Black hole? Is it solid or any other 5th state?

A black hole is contained, compressed plasma, I think, and between the inner and outer event horizons I heard could be the most violent state in the universe. That is if I remember the documentary correctly.

Edited by Airbrush

A black hole is contained, compressed plasma, I think, and between the inner and outer event horizons I heard could be the most violent state in the universe. That is if I remember the documentary correctly.

You don't. Plasma is a state in which particles have become ionized - ie electrons float free with the positive ions in a fluid state. Even before we reach the monumental crushing power of the gravity of a black hole we find that this state is not tenable. Neutron stars (which "crush" less than black holes ) have enough inward pressure to cause some electron and protons to merge to form neutrons - so this is the opposite of the free electrons of plasma; the pressure is so great that electrons are (to an extent) not even able to exist in the atom.

we have precious little idea of what is beyond the event horizon. GR would tell us a singularity. QCD might mention things like quark or preon-degenerate state. But in reality we need a theory which deals simultaneously with gravity and the other forces all on a particle level and at very hi energy

What you may be remembering is that black holes can generate plasma - and the plasma they can generate can be amongst the hottest stuff going. The material in accretion discs and polar jets is ridiculously energetic and almost completely ionised

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysical_jet

What you may be remembering is that black holes can generate plasma - and the plasma they can generate can be amongst the hottest stuff going. The material in accretion discs and polar jets is ridiculously energetic and almost completely ionised

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysical_jet

Then can there be violent movement of superhot matter, which is not a plasma but whatever, inside the event horizon of a black hole? Or is the region between the event horizon and the singularity totally empty?

Edited by Airbrush

Then can there be violent movement of superhot matter, which is not a plasma but whatever, inside the event horizon of a black hole? Or is the region between the event horizon and the singularity totally empty?

Logically, unless the BH is in a feeding frenzy, all we have is critically curved spacetime..up to the Singularity.

Edited by beecee