Dead dog.

reverse

I watched a man walk his dog yesterday.

For some reason as it passed something made me think that the dog would soon die.

The dog stopped in it’s tracks and simply died.

This is the second time this has happened to me.

The last time it was a cat.

Ever heard anything like this before?

No, reverse, you way have something here, don't listen to the others go to the zoo! Being surrounded by that many animals one is bound to die :-( I know this sucks but if you can spend a day at the zoo and no animals die then it was probably just a coincidence. If you ask the manager at the end of the day how many animlas died and he says 50 then you may have a problem.

Oh, and yourdadonapogos what did the dolphins do to you?

~Scott

Well, if it works on animals, it should work on humans...

Hey, reverse, wanna come live near the local Frat Row? The gene pool could use more chlorine than the current drunk driving rate is providing.

Mokele

I found this semi scientific possibility.

I don't know how much you know about biology, but you really should read Sheldrake before even considering he's a serious person, because he's not...

yes.

Don't worry.

I'm putting this down to chance.

tell you something funny.

replaying my thought processes in slow motion around the said "dead dog" incident....

First I looked into the dog (Labrador) face...

and then had the thought:

"something is wrong with that dog, bet it will be dead soon"

So I looked across the dogs pelt condition and thought it looked good .

So then looked at the way the animal was moving and thought it also looked good.

So then I thought to myself:

"why did you just have that stupid thought. it makes no sense".

Then the poor critter stopped, dropped and was no more.

Strange huh.

Now, let me at Sheldrake.

(this all sounds very interesting). :)

perhaps it`s possible that you have a "Sense" that you`re unaware of, a bit like some people can read body language without being taught. perhaps these animals are already quite ill and part of you can recognise this but not be able to word it, so you`ll get a "Feeling" and then of course when it inevitably happens, it seems strange.

have you counted all the times it HASN`T happened?

• 3 weeks later...

Dogs 'tell' me their names; cats do not.

I firmly believe there is communication beyond the five recognized senses. I've experienced it several times with humans and other animals. What has convinced me this type of communication does happen is that the idea communicated is typically very banal, at least with humans.

Maybe rather than just pure chance, you did see the dog stagger a bit just before it died. Are you by any chance a vet who knows what dogs look like just before they die?

Another explination could be that your a very cynical person who thinks everything is going to die and by a process of counting hits and forgetting missess you appear to be right.

Considering that we're in the pseudo-science forum, I'm sure I can get away with this one: dogs might be like bees in that they give off a scent as they are about to die and you might be particulary receptive to that.

Nope,

not a negative person.

I believe totally in the ability of humanity to find a way to solve any problem.

I wasn't even thinking about the dog, it just caught my attention for some strange reason ...like when you see a red flower in a green bed of grass...it sort of just stands out....naturally.

Reverse, this is an interesting thing you got goin' but it's kinda impersonal. Lessee...rather than dose a poodle's lunch with cyanide I would much more enjoy driving a stake through its heart and cutting off its head. Make any sense?

I own a dog. (stay back)

(I own 3 but let's simplfy) Initially, i though that there *was* something strange going on. The dog seemd to actually understand what i mean, most of the times better that less-than-intelligent people. I consider the dog to be suprior from that point of view.

Anyhow, after a while, it seemed like we (both) developed an ability to detect mood. All i had to do is look at the dog and see its state, mood, whatever from gestures and posture. And apparently the dog is able to do the same.

I wanted to test this ability. I was curious if the dog can truely "sense" human emotions or just reply to body language. At some point, even though i was in a perfectly good mood, i tried to fake a sudden pain (no sound, just a suggested faliure) as discreetly as possible.

I probably moved less than a centimeter but i triggered a reply instantly. The dog immediatle came over to investigate, tring to guess what's wrong and where.

It does feel like magic if you don't pay much attention, but it's little more than involuntary processing. You might have noticed a spasm under the fur, odd eye movement, a sound, whatever. Not thinking about it immediately because you were doing something else, it only came to surface after the dog has passed you. "Did i see what i thought i saw?"

When the dog died, you connected the info. A dog can't have its hand to its chest when having a heart attack, but it does wobble and/or breathe oddly, etc. These partial signs "connect" in our brain even if a straight and definite response isn't triggered.

• 3 weeks later...

It is believed that dogs can detect when humans are about to die. I've heard so many people say that their dog acts very upset before someone else who lives in the house dies. Sometimes the death is unexpected, like a heart attack.

I´ve seen a lot of people of whom I simply knew they were going to die soon. I don´t think it comes to much of a surprise that humans can intuitively feel the another person´s condition from signals you don´t recognize wittingly (empathy). Might also work on animals but I haven´t seen any that was dying shortly afte.