Favorite School lab

akcapr

Poll: what is everyone favorite lab they did in school (highschool, JH, collegfe, etc)? It could be bio, chemistry, etc.

I personally dont really have a favorite, since i have only taken biology and none of the labs i really liked. Im sure next year (chemistry) ill have plenty of favorite labs :)

I really liked Cell Biology lab. I hated the weekly lab reports. Organic chemistry II lab was a good time, but it was the people in the lab rather than the material itself. I loathed Bio II lab and both gen chem labs.

oh sorry- i meant more of liek a experiment thingy that u did like using bunsen burners or watever, growing bacteria. And also, now that i think of it my favorite lab was testing amalyse on starch and such.

Oh my bad. One of my favorites was tagging proteins (actin, tubulin, and a mitochondrial protein) with enhanced yellow flourescent protein by inserting the gene for the respective protein into a vector with EYFP. The plasmid was then transfected and the cells obserrved under flourescent microscope.

It was fascinating to see all the theory come together in a nice visual demonstration.

My two favorites so far have been Vertebrate Zoology lab and Invertebrate Zoology lab (both are upper-level bio courses).

In fact, thanks to Inv. Zo. lab, I now have the unfortunate and expensive desire to set up an invert-only salt-water tank....

Mokele

Wow - Orgo was your favorite lab? You must be a sucker for punishment or there must have been some really great people in that lab. I was stuck in Orgo on Slope Day (biggest party of the year) finishing the practical - it must be said, however, that parties were the reason I was the only person there that day. Never take an 8 AM Friday lab. My favorite lab would have to be biolistic transformation - you shoot gold particles coated with DNA at plant leaves and look to see if they've picked up the beta-gluc gene.

my fave was Chromatography the sort with the filter paper and acetone solvent, I think I went through absolutely everything in my house that made a mark and split it up into it`s component particles just to see which looked the most interesting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. One of the 'best' labs I did was in biochemistry. We brewed hard apple cider :D. The best part was when we got to 'consume' our product to make sure everything worked right. :D

Another fun lab was in organic chemistry where we produced trinitroglycerol. Kind of nervewracking, but interesting nonetheless. Especially when we 'used' the product and saw it both detonate and burn rapidly. It was VERY small quantities (0.5 cc at most), but was a blast to work with. (no pun intended).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, way back I had a half-psychotic chem teacher who taught us about gun powder and did an 'experiment' involving sodium metal and water. Yep. The teacher gave us all goggles and dunked a sizeable chunk of sodium in a beaker. None of us knew what was going to happen, and we all jumped. A smartass in the class asked her what variables she was measuring in the 'experiment' were and she scrambled to think of the education value...

• 3 weeks later...

in the 9th grade, half a year ago, we were supposed to make esters, and you could choose which carboxylic and alcohol to mix, and most of the esters produced smell much. i mixed isoamylalcohol with benzoic acid and after that bhutanol with butanoic acid, only remember the smell of the second one, smelled strong, but neither good or bad. some other group produced one who smelled terribly bad and another group made an ester that smelled like a mixture of pearlollipop and nailpolish... i should have made ethylacetate