Green 532nm laser

H2SO4

I just bought a green laser pointer on ebay for $58.00. It is a leadlight laser, with a wavelength of 532nm. Its hecka nice (hopefully). i was wondering if anyone here has a green laser. I heard there pretty sick compared to the red 632-650nm ones. There supposedly much brighter and there distance is incredible.

people say there is a beam through the air in the dark, but i dont realy believe it. Maybe a very faint beam.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a green laser pointer on ebay for $58.00. It is a leadlight laser' date=' with a wavelength of 532nm. Its hecka nice (hopefully). i was wondering if anyone here has a green laser. I heard there pretty sick compared to the red 632-650nm ones. There supposedly much brighter and there distance is incredible.

people say there is a beam through the air in the dark, but i dont realy believe it. Maybe a very faint beam.[/quote']

I have access to a 10 Watt green laser, but it's not portable.

It's not the laser, it's your eye. It is much more sensitive to green light than red light.

I know that this is a 532, but what about those big argon 532's that. Ide imagine those would be much stronger. Are they the same strength? I believe its got to do with watts, like the big one can deliver more watts at the same wavelength, versus a small one.

I have access to a 10 Watt green laser, but it's not portable.

10W... I'm damn near drooling!!! I love lasers! And that power rating it sure as hell wouldn't be portable!

I mean, the max ebay power limit on lasers is 5mW, so I was thinking I could go elsewhere and get something a bit better, but it's quite expensive [i'm talking green here].

And the line, there are loadsa images around on the net, but you can never tell what power the laser is, and if the image has been tampered with, best thing to do is just see it, tell me what it's like when you get it!

I was actually looking at buying one of those leadlight lasers just at the beginning of this week, you're lucky I didn't or I'd have been outbidding you!

10W... I'm damn near drooling!!! I love lasers! And that power rating it sure as hell wouldn't be portable!

The whole system (that laser is a diode-pumped Verdi which in turn pumps a Ti:Sapph) costs more than I make in two years.

We're looking into a frequency-doubled IR laser with a fiber amplifier to do the same job, but more reliably (we hope). The Ti:Sapph has some power issues in long-term operation.

Swansont, what is it used for? Green seems an Odd color for many of the Apps I`ve seen.

It pumps another laser to give us 780nm (it should consistently give us >1 Watt, but doesn't, which is a problem), which is the Rb D2 transition wavelength

aha, so the Rubidium Deuteride is the actual Lasing medium :)

got ya, I thought green at 10w seemed a bit odd (other than for ranging distances like the Moon and back LOL).

forgive my being Nosey though, what is the 780 (red) used for?

aha' date=' so the Rubidium Deuteride is the actual Lasing medium :)

got ya, I thought green at 10w seemed a bit odd (other than for ranging distances like the Moon and back LOL).

forgive my being Nosey though, what is the 780 (red) used for?[/quote']

It's the Titanium:Sapphire crystal that's the lasing medium. Most lasers are pretty inefficient, so that's why a lot of power is needed - we need >1W output. Trapping Rubidium is the application.

"I'd just be happy"... I didn't say I have it! -- I wish I did! And yes I did mean 50mW and not 5mW..... 5mW is standard, I always something with a bit more power ;), 50mW should do fine!!!

Mind, unless I find a good place to buy one cheaply I'll prob have to settle for standard 5mW.

You need a license? I've heard of these, but don't know much, 5mW is the limit imposed by ebay, I believed international laws allowed high power lasers [license free], but I may easily be wrong!

What would I do with it; d'you know how cool it'd be!!!!!!! I dunno, some people like to collect elements, I like watches which count in binary, powerful lasers and electronic gadgets! I dunno, look at it, like you look at elements, shine it miles away, can't do that with an element! I dunno; it's just one of those things I really want!

ps. binary watch: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17/ :cool:

umm, yeah I have considered the consequences, the main consequence I considered was the kick a$$ green beam ;)

I'm telling you, lasers are one of the few things I just love!

Do you happen to know laws regarding lasers/licenses in the UK, if you don't I'll look it up on the net?

And the binary watch, I've seen similar home made things, but was yours actually standard watch size? Or a bit bigger?

I'd be pleasantly suprised if yours was quite that small, although I spose if anyone did it probably would have been you!

I used the 7 segment display from an old calculator (the sort with bubble lenses on them) it was a little larger than a normal watch (but perfectly wearable), sadly the battery only lasted about 2 and a bit weeks at a time (display always on).

non the less it was fun to make and use for a while (I stripped the watch band and sold it for £5 and a CB radio).

as for consequences Laser wise, how about RTAs! ???????

RTA? :confused:

Google talks about road traffic things... maybe retinal something (just because it's a standard safety hazard of lasers is always if it goes in someone's eye), but what are you referring to when you say "RTA" ?

I mean their nexus is a 95mw laser that runs on two AAA's. tHIS IS lame lies.

Id imagine this would be physicaly impossible to have a handheld laser running on two tripple A's produce 95mw

RTA? :confused:

Google talks about road traffic things... maybe retinal something (just because it's a standard safety hazard of lasers is always if it goes in someone's eye)' date=' but what are you referring to when you say "RTA" ?[/quote']

Road Traffic Accident.

They show there "95mw" lighting a match. This site is such crap!

I mean their nexus is a 95mw laser that runs on two AAA's. tHIS IS lame lies.

Id imagine this would be physicaly impossible to have a handheld laser running on two tripple A's produce 95mw

I don't think that's unreasonable at all. 95 mW, but in a small beam. I've burned myself with <1W. And a match only requires a certain amount of local heating so that the exothermic reaction can start.

As far as the batteries go, the could easily supply enough power. Laser diodes of that power probably draw 100-200 mA, across 3V (assuming theses are 1.5V batteries*), so that's a few hundred mW. Unlike most lasers, diodes are pretty efficient. The restriction on the batteries isn't the power, it's voltage and how long the laser would run. A 532 nm photon has 2.33eV of energy, so you need at least ~2.4V across the bandgap, and you have that. You'd drain the batteries pretty quickly is all.

*This probably wouldn't run on rechargeables, which are 1.2 - 1.25 V each.